Subject: Fwd: KMIP support in OpenStack

I've asked Rene if his team would be willing to also implement at least some portion in python for OpenStack.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Pawlitzek René <rene.pawlitzek@ntb.ch>
Date: May 17, 2013 9:56:17 AM EDT
Subject: KMIP support in OpenStack

Good day Kelley:

I am one of the original KMIP contributors and work as an Assistant Professor at a State University in Switzerland. We have two smart bachelor students working on an Open Source implementation of a KMIP client and a KMIP server using Java and plan to release the codebase under a BSD license in Mid-August. It would be a pleasure to see this code working in OpenStack.

Best regards
Rene

PS: Feel free to post this mail on oasis-open.org

-----

René Pawlitzek
Dozent für Informatik
Interstaatliche Hochschule für Technik Buchs NTB
Werdenbergstrasse 4
CH-9471 Buchs
Tel: ++41 81 755-3183
Fax: ++41 81 756-5434

OpenStack has a need for key management where I think KMIP makes perfect sense (see the first diagram at https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/VolumeEncryption for a few more details of one place KMIP could be used).

Intel is planning to post a (very TPM-centric) blueprint and dedicate resources to building the Key Manager for the next (Havana) release. If no one challenges the write up it will most likely be the default implementation for Openstack and difficult to get changes (such as KMIP support) made. See https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/KeyManager

Now is the time for KMIP to make ourselves known (if we want to be a part of the OpenStack cloud offering). OpenStack is very code oriented (those who submit code get the most influence) but also requires socialization (wiki, blueprints, chat, and summit attendance) to get the job done.

So, if anyone is interested in participating, here's what is needed:

1. someone (not necessarily one person) willing to commit resources to interact with OpenStack in order to get KMIP into the right place in the OpenStack design

2. a reference (open source) client implementation, with a mock-up server for testing.

I'm willing to help socialize KMIP in OpenStack, but some vendor support would be great.

Kelley