Subject: Re: [kmip] Groups - kmip-tape-lib-profile-v1 0-wd01-review.doc uploaded

On 2/07/2013 6:42 AM, Bruce Rich wrote:
Tim,

In the larger context that I quoted, it is (more) clear that the server announcing "support" of this namespace via Query is related to its ability to fill in the rest of the information if the client sends only the namespace.

Actually it doesn't state what "support" means at all. And the definitive text for that should be in the definition of the attribute.
I see what you want it to state - and how to infer that meaning - but that isn't what the text actually says and other meanings are not reasonably precluded.

It does not state that you shall not return an application name space from the query response when the application name space is supported but the client needs to specify the identifier. The term "support" has not be exclusively tied to handling Application Data not specified by the client.

There are numerous errors in the specification text if this is the interpretation that you expected.
There is also an error in table 120 states Application Data is "Required". That is an error - as the text clearly states the the Application Data can be omitted.

Bruce, I think one of the challenges here is that no one so far has actually put forward any real world example of server-side provided Application Data values with a name space description and details as to how the server is meant to provide the value. That use case simple isn't present/visible. There is use of Application Specific Information in shipping product from multiple vendors - but not with server provided Application Data values. Filling in that gap I think would be the right starting point.

Tim.