Subject: Re: [kmip] KMIP Spec v1.2 wd05: Multiple Cryptographic Parameters for a Single Key

On 4/07/2013 9:26 AM, John Leiseboer wrote:
I think I have a solution for the Multiple Cryptographic Parameters issue.

John - I think you continue to ignore what the plain statements within the specification itself state and the previous discussions on the topic.

You see a problem here - and I've yet to see anyone else express that they see that there is an issue and that there is an interpretation issue with the specification that would impact things sufficiently that we need to stop and address in the time frame of KMIP 1.2.

"The Cryptographic Parameters attribute is a structure (see Table 54) that contains a set of OPTIONAL fields that describe certain cryptographic parameters to be used when performing cryptographic operations using the object."

There is no use of SHALL there at all or anywhere else within the specification text for Cryptographic Parameters and there is no statement of a prohibition on use of managed objects. There is no text on restrictions. It is clearly marked as multi-instance and modifiable by the client. There are examples showing usage of managed objects with no Cryptographic Parameters and with multiple Cryptographic Parameters with differing values and those have been in place all along.

Proposing a solution to a problem which so far only you have seen as a problem and debating the merits of different solutions depend on others also seeing the same issue - and I'm still waiting to see any response from others on the topic indicating there is support for radically changing the specification in this area.

Tim.