Subject: RE: [kmip] KMIP: RNG Proposals

> Deprecating the use of algorithms seems like a good idea, but where
> do we draw the line? Should we do this based on security
Indeed, where do we draw the line? One client's secure algorithm is another client's insecure algorithm. Make recommendations. Provide guidance. Do not introduce weaknesses, and vulnerabilities into the standard. Build ease of use into the standard; i.e. be secure by default, and force clients to explicitly change the default, or standard way of doing things, in order to be insecure.

Algorithm selection is best left to the client, or the server policy/configuration manager. Supporting "insecure" algorithms does not necessarily mean insecure operation will result. Same as limiting support to only "secure" algorithms does not mean secure operation will result.

John