Subject: Reference for Brainpool Elliptic Curves

One of the comments received on the KMIP 1.2 Specification asked about why we had not used RFC5639 as the reference for the Brainpool Elliptic Curves.

The Brainpool Elliptic Curves are being introduced into the spec as of this version (KMIP 1.2) and were included in the ECC proposal which was balloted on December 13, 2012 (https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/kmip/ballot.php?id=2329) and with the clarifying updates in https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=50082&wg_abbrev=kmip

The names and Object Identifiers (OIDs) for these Brainpool Elliptic Curves are the same in the original Brainpool paper (ECC-Brainpool –
http://www.ecc-brainpool.org/download/Domain-parameters.pdf) that we currently reference in the KMIP 1.3 Spec CD and in RFC5639.  However there are content differences between these two references.  The original paper provides more details on these curves and related comments.  There are all differences between the references as to how the parameters used to describe the curves are named.

The question to the TC is how to address this comment – there are three options

  1. We can choose not to address the comment and just use the current reference
  2. We can keep the current reference and also add RFC5639 as a reference
  3. We can remove the current reference and replace it with RFC5639

I would recommend option 2 – This is similar to what was done for PKCS#5 PKCS#7, etc. where the spec includes a reference to the original PKCS document and to the RFC version of the document.

Please response to this message with your preferred option and any other comments/questions you might have on this topic.

Judy