Subject: RE: [kmip] Groups - Locate with Offset uploaded

> It seems that any server vendor that actually implemented the locate offset would ensure an order…

Implementing ordering in a server does not solve the problem. The issue comes about from the stateless nature of the protocol. Anything can happen between an individual’s client requests to a server. The fact that anything can happen means that iterating through recomputed lists of attributes for each “Locate-next-chunk” request is not guaranteed to work as the client needs. The proposal does not present a solution that works properly. To be blunt, the proposal is flawed, and in my opinion should be rejected.

There are ways of fixing this without requiring order, or server state. It is a very well-known problem that has been solved many times in networking protocols. I am willing to work with others on presenting an alternative proposal, but only if the group wants to consider it.

John