Subject: RE: [kmip] Groups - KMIP1.3KeyShredProposal.doc uploaded

Mark

This proposal is a consolidation and update of two proposals that were submitted and discussed in May 2014 in relationship to the Key Shredding topic.  The proposal includes both updates to the KMIP Specification Terminology section as well as the addition of the new query/attribute for Sanitization Method.  This Sanitization Method corresponds to the ‘Shredding Algorithm’ that Tim Hudson discussed in the Additonal Query Enhancement presentation in July.  At that meeting I took the action to post the required enumerations for the shredding algorithm to support this query option.  This is the proposal covering that action item.

So this is part of the Query enhancements that have been discussed.  I just covered the Client to Server view and added the note that this would also apply to the Server to Client Query option which has also been discussed.  There is not formal proposal (just the presentation) for the last set of query enhancements so I could not update that proposal with this information.  Also the earlier (server) query enhancements were actually covered in separate proposals – one for each enhancement.

If you are others  on the list are aware of other (media/data) sanitization methods that we should include in the enumerations please send the suggestion to the reflector.

Judy

From: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:kmip@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Mark Joseph
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:03 PM
To: Furlong, Judith; kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

Why can't this be added to the Query Capabilities feature we have already discussed?   After all you are just adding another enumerator.

Mark Joseph, Ph.D. President P6R, Inc 408-205-0361 mark@p6r.com Skype: markjoseph_sc http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-joseph/0/752/4b4

Judith Furlong <Judith.Furlong@emc.com> , 8/28/2014 1:43 PM:

Submitter's message
Editorial changes
Methods to Method
Key Shredding to Sanitization
-- Ms. Judith Furlong

Document Name: KMIP1.3KeyShredProposal.doc

Description
Proposal covers changes and additions that should be made to the KMIP 1.2
Specification to introduce the concepts of cryptographic erasure and key
shredding and add a new attribute which may be used in Query operations to
determine if a specific media sanitization method when destroying
cryptographic key material.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Judith Furlong
Group: OASIS Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP) TC
Folder: Drafts
Date submitted: 2014-08-28 13:42:45
Revision: 1