Subject: RE: [kmip] Groups - detailed_wrap_unwrap_proposal.odt uploaded

Hi Mark

I must have somehow missed the justification for these [Wrap/Unwrap] operations. Given that the spec already supports both the Register of a wrapped key [which the server unwraps for storage], and the Get of a key [which the server wraps for export], I wonder what motivates these new operations.

I would guess that there’s an efficiency issue with on-demand wrap/unwrap of a key, and that these new operations allow the key to be in its most readily useable state when accessed. That said, however, I would imagine that the same effect could be realized through minor modification of the Key Wrapping Data – for example, a flag to indicate whether a wrapped key should remain wrapped.

Cheers,

… Dave

From: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:kmip@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Mark Joseph
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2015 12:25 AM
To: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org

Submitter's message
Here is my detailed proposal for 2 new KMIP operations: wrap and unwrap, that I presented during the last face to face.
-- Dr. Mark Joseph

Document Name: detailed_wrap_unwrap_proposal.odt

Description
Here is my detailed proposal for 2 new KMIP operations: wrap and unwrap,
that I presented during the last face to face.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Dr. Mark Joseph
Group: OASIS Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP) TC
Folder: Proposals
Date submitted: 2015-07-15 21:24:19

or disclosing it.