Subject: Re: [kmip] KMIP 2.0 Delete Attribute --- Re: [kmip] Groups - Introduction to KMIP v2.0 WD01 uploaded

Is it possible to set more than one multi-value attribute instance to the same value as another instance of the same attribute?

No it is not. Multi-instance attribute instances are identified by their value rather than the former (removed for KMIP 2.0) attribute index.
This was discussed at the face to face at length and in the presentation materials.

It naturally impacts both the Modify Attribute and Delete Attribute operation parameters and handling.

Allowing a reference to the attribute (Attribute Reference) as an option rather than Current Attribute would enable specification of the Attribute independent of its value and would make Delete Attribute straight forward for single instance attributes but I think that went beyond the proposal. Modify Attribute however allows a new replacement for single instance.

"If no Current Attribute is specified in the request, then if there is only a single instance of the Attribute it SHALL be selected as the attribute instance to be modified to the New Attribute value, and if there are multiple instances of the Attribute an error SHALL be returned (as the specific instance of the attribute is unable to be determined"

Extending that same approach to Delete Attribute is well worth exploring - the change is simple - and consistent in my view.

Tim.