Subject: Suggestion regarding v1.4 errata

Hi,

I have a suggestion for this errata that may be a little outside the box at this point.

First, my understanding of the oasis errata rules, quoted in the recent call, is that they aim to prevent a compliant instance in the field from becoming non-compliant by a documentation change. There are server implementations, in the wild, that claim 1.4 compliance and they differ from each other in some aspects. There are clients, in the wild, expecting different behaviours depending on their interpretation of the spec. All of these are currently considered compliant. None of these should be made non-compliant by an errata.

With this in mind, I suggest that any errata should

  • Clarify the original intent.
  • Document the existing discrepancies found in the wild.

Any new test case that changes the compliance of deployed software would, I feel, hit the spirit of the Oasis definition of material change, if not the letter.

Regards

John Major

John Major | Software Developer | QuintessenceLabs | W: quintessencelabs.com

Unit 1 Lower Ground |15 Denison St | Deakin ACT 2600 | P: +61 2 6260 4922

https://www.quintessencelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Signature-logo.png

Check out our new website: quintessencelabs.com

https://www.quintessencelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Linkedin.png  https://www.quintessencelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Twitter.png