Subject: RE: [kmip] Fwd: The language for Key Mangement Domain

I appreciate this line of Logic â  it makes sense.

I vote for Timâs option!

Thanks!

Chuck

From: kmip@lists.oasis-open.org <kmip@lists.oasis-open.org> On Behalf Of Tim Hudson
Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2019 7:13 AM
To: OASIS KMIP Technical Committee <kmip@lists.oasis-open.org>

The concept of uniqueness here is something entirely enforced by the server - it has nothing to do with clients at all.

Including the client in the definition walks into an entirely different concept in my view.

Given we have gone around in multiple circles here, I have an alternate solution - we remove "key management domain" from the specification in the (now) five places where it occurs and we replace it with "key management server" making it consistent with that usage elsewhere.

This fixes the historical choice of the word "domain" slipping into the specification and avoids using any vendor-specific terminology for a server vendor multi tenancy approach.

Note for reference a typical definition of multitenancy ...

Multitenancy is a reference to the mode of operation of software where multiple independent instances of one or multiple applications operate in a shared environment.

The instances (tenants) are logically isolated, but physically integrated.

The KMIP specification refers to clients and servers and the uniqueness enforcement is about the server. We don't state the nature of the technology choices used in the server.

So my view is "none of the above" for the two suggested choices in your email below as they both hit issues.

Tim.