legalcite-markup-discuss message

Subject: Re: [legalcite-markup-discuss] Legacy citations?

Hi Patrick,

Well, in fact, we are scoping the proposed standard narrowly, to focus on a metadata model and markup specification, so that those centuries worth of cites in a variety of texts need not be meddled with.

There are certainly a great deal of existing work to build on, both specs for the text form of citations like the Blue Book and in electronic markup. We don't want to reinvent the wheel. It is critical though that the result be a free, open standard applicable world-wide developed in a forum that ensures open access, broad participation, public review and comment and assurance that the specification will evolve in methodical, disciplined ways. (Not say that other initiatives don't have the qualities - only that our proposal presumes those values as well.)

Note though that this isn't intended to specify forms that the citation text should adhere to on the page. My experience at Lexis suggests that there's more likelihood of success if we work on the enabling technology behind the page.

Best,

/chet