legalcite-markup-discuss message

Subject: Re: [legalcite-markup-discuss] Draft of a charter for the Legal Citation (LegalCite) Technical Committee

Chet,

I assume that all of the "highly visible" similar projects have
advocates if not adherents.

To the extent there are bodies of legal materials using other markup
models, a mapping between existing markup models and the TC's model
could ease the acceptance of the latter in the marketplace.

Thinking with a mapping that metadata for the Legalcite TCs markup
could inure to the benefit of citatons held in other systems.

Any thoughts about such mappings or at least a mechanism to support
such mappings being among the TC's deliverables?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

On 10/29/2013 02:14 PM, Chet Ensign wrote:
> All,
>
> I have been working on the draft for a charter for the proposed
> Legalcite Technical Committee. The draft below incorporates
> feedback from several people, especially changes to make clear that
> the scope is the markup model (conceptual model, vocabulary,
> metadata definitions and syntatical structure) not print format
> recommendations and changes to get rid of any perceived US-centric
> bias.
>
> Please have a look and let us know what you think. We are getting
> close to the point where the charter can be formally submitted to
> OASIS and the TC started up. I anticipate - given the timeline of
> events necessary to start a Technical Committee and the impending
> holidays - that a first meeting would be set for sometime in
> January of 2014.
>
> --- Charter draft ---
>
> Section 1: Charter
>
> (1)(a) TC Name
>
> OASIS Legal Citation (Legalcite) TC
>
> (1)(b) Statement of Purpose
>
> One of the fundamental principles of legal writing is that every
> statement of law or fact must carry a citation to its source.
> Citations document the history of precedent that ensures the
> continuity and consistent interpretation and application of the
> law. Legal documents almost always include citations within the
> body of the text and, in fact, would be unacceptable without them.
>
> The specifications for constructing citations that exist today vary
> across jurisdictions and languages. Work has been done on several
> initiatives to develop markup standards for citations (see list at
> http://tinyurl.com/legalCite-DataModel) yet the focus of many
> efforts and much of the analysis has been on the form of the
> citation on the page itself. In today’s world of electronic
> publishing, online research and proliferating sources of material,
> the lack of a rich markup language vocabulary and syntax presents a
> number of problems, key among them:
>
> 1) Print citations can't be machine-processed with 100%
> reliability, e.g. a citation may point to a page with complex text
> that requires a human reader to decipher the intended target. A
> markup standard could enable precise processing.
>
> 2) There is no way to encode improvements in quality and accuracy
> into a citation over time so publishers and other users must
> reprocess the text citations over and over. With a markup standard,
> a publisher could enrich a citation with metadata that would
> persist, enabling many downstream applications to work on the data
> instead of re-fixing it.
>
> 3) There is no way to encode consistent metadata behind print
> citations that may vary from one jurisdiction to the next. A markup
> standard would allow normalization and enhancement to be done in
> the tagging, leaving the print citation untouched.
>
> 4) There is no way to enrich the citation with additional metadata
> that can assist authors, editors, or readers in using the citation.
> [...]

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau