legalcitem-admin-reg-docs message

Subject: RE: [legalcitem-admin-reg-docs] Notes for Legal Citations Markup Exec/Admin subcommittee for 29 April 2014

We also discussed that we did not think we needed use cases from different types of users. Because the documents are primary source documents they should not differ based on type of user. This would be a valuable differentiation for the Secondary Sources subcommittee.

Best,

Kris

From: legalcitem-admin-reg-docs@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:legalcitem-admin-reg-docs@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Chet Ensign
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 3:01 PM
To: legalcitem-admin-reg-docs@lists.oasis-open.org

Attending: Ken Hirsh, Kris Niedringhaus, Chet Ensign

1. Review of our understanding of the charge to the SC

Charge is to “identify the relevant features of Executive Branch/Regulations/Administrative documents needed for their identification and description in the context of legal citations.”

We agreed that we take “relevant features” to mean in a general sense “metadata.”

Regarding: “Features are organized in identifying vs. accessory, required vs. desired, and describing the cited document vs. describing the citation(*).”

We take “identifying vs. accessory” to mean metadata necessary to determine the resource being cited to and metadata that can provide additional context. For example, the number of a rule would be critical to locating it in an official publication. Its name, on the other hand, could be useful in making it easier for a reader to decide whether that is the one wanted.

We did not discuss “required vs. desired.”

We were uncertain of the meaning of “cited document vs. describing the citation.”

We briefly scanned the list of document types and features preliminarily posted to the wiki. We noted the importance of contacting TC members from other jurisdictions & countries to get feedback for other countries and legal systems.

2) Decide on a process for how we will gather and record this information

We did not get to this topic and agreed to discuss it over email before the next meeting.

Action items:

- Chet to send our list of content types to TC members outside the US and ask for feedback.

Next meeting: Next meeting is scheduled for 13 May at 17:00 UTC.

--

/chet

Primary: +1 973-996-2298
Mobile: +1 201-341-1393