legalcitem-admin-reg-docs message

Subject: Notes from LegalCiteM Exec/Admin subcommittee meeting 13 May 2014

Attending: Chet E, Ken H, Kris N, Sara F, special guest appearance by Tom Bruce

- We discussed the distinction between ‘required’ and ‘desirable’ in the SC charge and as used on the content type collection spread sheet. Consensus is that

* Required = the information must be available in citation markup if a consuming entity is to be able to resolve the citation into a reference

* Desirable = the information would be useful to consuming entities for other closely related purposes but is not strictly necessary to enable resolving the citation

- We discussed refinement to the content types that were in the spread sheet.

* We discussed the difference between ‘regulation’ and ‘rule making’ which would incorporate other material such as the preambulatory material that is often included with final regulations. Such material can in fact be cited, for example, to support interpretations of the intent of the regulation.

* We discussed events, such as suspension of enforcement, and agreed that these would constitute content that we titled ‘Action notices.’

- We added a column for sample print citations to go with the examples of citable content.

- We decided on the following next steps:

* Chet will add the rest of the content types to the spread sheet and create a first row for universal features - those features that would apply to all or substantially all the content types. That way individual content types need only identify exceptions to the list.

* Everyone will look at the content types as they have the time and edit the features list, either the universal or the individual types (as well as any other components they want to revise).

* Chet will also contact members outside the US individually to ask for feedback on the content types listed.

- Next meeting of the subcommittee is two weeks from today, May 27th.

Best regards,

/chet

=== chat log ===

- Review the prototype google docs spread sheet (see referenced items below) as a vehicle to collect and refine our content types and feature list. Will this work for everyone? Does this seem like the right way to proceed?

- Discuss and decide what we think is meant by "required versus desired" in the SC charge. Does it make sense? How will we use it?
[13:04] Chet Ensign (OASIS): 1. Google doc link: https://docs.google.com/a/oasis-open.org/spreadsheets/d/1q0G7MYwY9RMF6wRGm6-WS4zkBno9SCW50ZXG_S1EUcQ/edit#gid=0
[13:09] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Required versus desired
[13:11] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Required - the nugget of information must be available in the citation markup if a consuming entity is to be able to resolve the citation into a reference
[13:11] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Desired - the nugget of information would be useful to consuming entities but not necessary to resolve the citation
[13:16] Chet Ensign (OASIS): ...
[13:16] Chet Ensign (OASIS): For regulations - reg historical / preambulatory material
[13:17] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Useful for regulatory intent

[13:20] anonymous1 morphed into Sara Frug

[13:29] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Tom B - take a look at the Fed Register publishes in the CFR - list of parts affected / list of sections affected compiling all changes (LSA) - every month, every quarter
[13:51] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Chet - add a row for universal features then individual content types can be the exceptions
[13:51] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Chet - add the rest of the content types
[13:54] Chet Ensign (OASIS): + short descriptions and sample documents / sample citations
[13:54] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Notify everybody when ready

--

/chet

Primary: +1 973-996-2298
Mobile: +1 201-341-1393