legalcitem-courts message

Subject: Identifier review: U.S. Federal jurisdicton

After much to-ing and fro-ing, the U.S. identifiers in the LRR have
finally stabilized. It would be great if members of the group could
take a look at the arrangement before it is finalized.

    http://fbennett.github.io/legal-resource-registry/us/index.html

There are two main issues:

(1) I am not sure about the courts set under "Federal Circuit". These
should all be courts from which there is an appeal to the U.S. Court
of Appeals for the Federal Circut. I'm not sure that is true in all
cases (FISA? and maybe others).

(2) I have placed "States" and "Territories and Possessions" in
separate segments. There are some alternatives:

(a) These could be placed under the circuits from which appeal can be
had from the relevant state/territory Supreme Court, but that would
misrepresent the relative autonomy of state-level jurisdiction.

(b) Alternatively, both could be bumped up a level, dropping the
segments. That does not raise any namespace issues, but it would muddy
the distinction between these and  the Navajo Nation system, which
terminates in its own final court of appeal (plus it would make the
browsable view more cluttered, which may not be an issue).

(c) Things could be left as they are.

Take a look, see what you think!

Frank