legalcitem-courts message

Subject: Re: LRR progress

One feature of the LRR identifiers that may need some attention is the
decision to join the element with a semi-colon:

    us;c4;va.wd;district.court

The URN:LEX schema would join the leading "scoping" elements with a colon:

    us:c4:va.wd;district.court

As the leading elements and the court identifier are different
semantic elements, this allows implementations to distinguish between
the two - and to determine whether the latter is present in the
identifier - without making fragile assumptions about the composition
of identifiers being processed.

While the LRR identifiers are a separate namespace from URN:LEX, I am
strongly inclined to adopt this feature of the latter's syntax, as it
just seems to be the right design choice.

Frank