legalcitem-courts message

Subject: Thoughts on today's assignment:

Good day all,

Regarding the data elements, I raise the question whether we should include an item for the name of the document author. This may be a crucial bit of data in the case of a dissenting or concurring opinion, if that is the only item being cited from a case. For majority opinions, it is surplusage for purposes of resolving a citation, but it may be useful otherwise.

Regarding the nomenclature for what we in the U.S. typically call a docket number, I have no idea whether that has a different name in other countries. If we want a more generic name, I suggest “internal case identifier” or “local jurisdiction case identifier.”

Talk to you this afternoon.

Ken

Kenneth J. Hirsh

Director of the Law Library and I.T.