legalcitem message

Subject: Re: [legalcitem] the trilogy of subcommittees

(Darn... beaten by Chet...  )

Dear Brian,

Il giorno 20/feb/2014, alle ore 01:29, Brian Carver <brian.carver@documentengineeringservices.com> ha scritto:

> I think I agree with Daniel here, as this conversation has been making
> me think that I hope we would take advantage of prior work in related
> areas and not seek to re-invent the wheel where we conclude it's not
> necessary.

I totally agree. Fortunately both in the document accompanying the birth of the TC and in the past of the current members it is possible to find a lot of competences that will prove useful. We are not wandering in the dark, here, I am sure.

> In particular:
>
> 1. What other machine-readable taggings for citations (or something
> similar) exist? Can we adapt one of these to legal citations?

Attached to the call of participation of this TC [1] there was an Extended Charter. The first part has become the current charter of this TC, but the second part contains already a list of existing work in the area. Robin Cover maintains a longer list of references at [2].

To my knowledge, of the four technologies listed in the extended charter, two (Akoma Ntoso Naming Convention and ELI) are represented in our TC.

Personally I would be VERY happy to adopt existing work, and I have a strong inclination not to reinvent wheels. On the other hand, most of these experiences come from a) legislation, b) civil law countries, and c) Europe. It will be most interesting to compare these findings with the needs and desiderata of a) court documents, b) common law countries and c) rest of the world.

> 2. What vocabularies and/or metadata standards already exist for legal
> documents? Could we adopt or adapt one or more of these?

In part the answer to this question is the same as for the previous one: we have some XML vocabularies available, including Akoma Ntoso and CEN Metalex, represented in this TC. But in part I think this is a dangerous question, because I think it is bringing forward decisions on the produced output that will be competence of the group, including whether document formats will have a role in the specification of the syntax for references (which I personally doubt about).

> If it were possible to plug a vocabulary from 2 into an existing tagging
> standard from 1, then that might allow us to build on the good work of
> others rather than re-discovering all the pitfalls they previously
> confronted.

Totally agreed, and rest assured that within the TC there will be more than enough preexisting competences to reach a good result.

Ciao

Fabio

[1] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/legalcitem/201401/msg00000.html
[2] http://xml.coverpages.org/neutral-legal-citation-data-and-markup-models.html