legalcitem message

Subject: Minutes - draft

Hi All,

Here is the text of the minutes from this morning. This should help the folks in the 5:00 meeting. As for corrections – please correct reports of the subcommittees if I’ve chosen incorrect wording. Please review attendance and send corrections to me. Someone in the 5:00 please update me on attendance and any additions to the meeting minutes. Thank you very much!

LegalCiteM TC

Date: July 2, 2014

Time: 10:00 a.m. EDT & 5:00 p.m. EDT

In attendance: @10:00 a.m. mtg: D. Bennett, F. Bennett, Cheipe, Cochet, Dann, Frug, Hirsch, Gheen (?), Joergensen, Knapp, Nueren, Vergottini, Vitali; @5:00 mtg: ??

1. Approval of Minutes. Minutes of June 04, June 18, and July 02 have not yet been approved. Melanie will confer with Chet about whether it is required that we formally motion for approval or, alternatively, whether minutes can be presumed accurate and complete if no member asks for a correction. Approval of minutes is tabled pending this discussion.

2. Subcommittee reports.

·         Courts subcommittee –John J. and Frank Bennett discussed issues that have arisen working on Japanese test cases. A main issue is the need to retain non-roman characters (Kanji, in the case of Japan). It is believed that Unicode, UTF-8, and other international standards should allow us to write a standard that allows retention of non-roman characters to preserve and convey as much information as possible from the original citation. Another issue involved regnal years. John Dann pointed out that the UK has extensive experience with regnal years that we can draw from; similarly, as for country names, evolution of entity names, and name authority tables, the Office of Publications European Union (OPUE) has extensive experience in this matter that we could draw on.

·         Secondary Sources subcommittee – Members are each mapping a test case. Please see the wiki to observe or participate in the ongoing work.

·         Legislation subcommittee – The subcommittee continues to discuss use cases, with Monica mocking up URIs in various schemas for several test cases. Last week, the subcommittee spoke with John Sheridan of the UK National Archives about how to build meaningful URIs and avoid problems (some of which Monica identified in an email to the main TC).

·         Technical subcommittee report – Frank Bennett presented on Zotero and CSL. Fabio reported that the presentation on various schemas/syntaxes is broadening the mindset of the group and fomenting good ideas for our standard. In two weeks, they will discuss HTML5 microdata.

·         Executive subcommittee – No updates.

Meeting recessed at 10:30 EDT until 5:00 PM EDT

The next meeting is scheduled for 16 July 2014.

Minutes submitted by Melanie Knapp.