legalcitem message

Subject: Re: [legalcitem] GitHub etc.(long post...sorry)

On Thursday, November 20, 2014, monica.palmirani <monica.palmirani@unibo.it> wrote:
LegalDocML and LegalRuleML (but also the other OASIS TCs) are using the OASIS tools for cooperating and for contributing in the TCs.

From my knowledge it is fundamental to use those tools for achieving the correct standardisation process, for transparency approach, for managing the IPR issues properly and also for creating persistent URIs ofthe material that will be mentioned later in the standardization process. Otherwise we can have some problems in official steps.

https://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tools

Chet could help in these cases. Any time that I had some doubts about contributions, tools, IPR issues I asked to Chet.

In any case we are using (in LegalDocML and LegalRuleML) the following tools:

- Wiki - https://wiki.oasis-open.org/ (public)

- JIRA  - for managing the activities/task/ticket/bugs (not public only for the OASIS members)
https://issues.oasis-open.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

- SVN repo - for including all the schema, documents, etc.
https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/?sc=1
(public)

- KAVI - for the official documents approved by the TC. It is important to archive the official documents because we need links in KAVI for each official documents involved in the standardization process (minutes, working document, CSD). See this document for the naming convention of the files:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#tracks

Each document archived in KAVI is public:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?wg_abbrev=legaldocml
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?wg_abbrev=legalruleml

Each email in the mailing list and the attachment are public:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/legaldocml/

For the public accessibility to the resources/contributions see:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives.html#accessibleURIs

My 2 cents,
Monica

The problem (at least in the case of the courts SC) is one of manpower. The technical SC decided that controlled lists were preferable to dumb strings, for values with a finite scope. There are a lot of courts, and there are a lot of reporters, and there are many more intersections of the two. To build out the two lists and the relations between them is beyond the capacity of the committee membership, but there is a community that can help. Since both the community and OASIS have the same aim, I don't see any harm in activating the former, to produce material that can be vetted and adopted by the latter.

Certainly OASIS groups have adopted external work in the past; the only novelty here is perhaps that the external product was conceived after the group formed.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes - I'll try to talk to Chet sometime soon, to iron out any wrinkles.

Frank