legalcitem message

Subject: Re: [legalcitem] ELI documents

Hi John,

many thanks a lot for the updated documentation. I think it contains material that is very interesting for all the LegalCiteM committee. As the chair of the Akoma Ntoso OASIS Technical Committee, on the other hand, I could not help noticing a few imprecisions on how it is represented in the document.

For instance, on page 65, it is said:
"An example, of possible mapping between ELI ontology (1) elements and Akoma Ntoso (2) is provided here:
ƒƒ eli:type_document > akn:documentType (exact match)
ƒƒ eli:cites > akn:citation (exact match)."

This text seems improvable from different points of view:
1. akn:citation is not the right element: akn:citation is meant to indicate an articulated fragment of the preamble, called "citation", e.g., according to section 9 of the EU Joint Practical Guide of legal drafting http://eur-lex.europa.eu/techleg/index.html
A citation is something like "Having regard to the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, and in particular Article 100(2), in conjunction with Article 218(6)(a) thereof,". The correct correspondence of eli:cites, therefore, is akn:ref.

2. Furthermore, eli:cites is an ObjectProperty: as such it is a verb, it means "it cites that" in a relationship connecting two LegalResources. In Akoma Ntoso, akn:ref has literals inside the element (the actual text used for the reference) and does not connect LegalResources, but an individual fragment within the resource. Therefore it is not correct to say "exact match".

2. the association of the element is also incorrect: akn:documentType is a group type used for grouping all the document types within the XML Schema. At the document level, the correct element is akn:docType.

If you have the possibility to amend the document it would be nice for you to do so.

Thanks.

Yours,
Monica