legaldocml-comment message

Subject: Re: [legaldocml] Public Comments

Dear Marc,

Dear Monica, Flavio,
The correct name is Fabio, not Flavio.

Most important comment first:

 In CEN and ISO we have used comment resolution meetings to come, if possible, to a mutually agreed disposition of comments. Of course, we would be available for such a meeting, is you consider it useful
We certainly appreciate face-to-face meetings any time this is possible. The OASIS TC will have a face-to-face meeting in occasion of the Akoma Ntoso summer school in Ravenna, 5-13 September. It is a good chance, as we would already have in one physical location a number of people that can take decisions. We could organize an ancillary meeting with you to solve the remaining issues, say Saturday 10th Sept., 17.30-19.00, in Ravenna. You would be a very welcome guest also as speaker, like John Sheridan and the EU Parliament representative. In the Saturday day of the summer school (10th Sept. 9.00-17.00) we are used to present the best use-cases of Legal XML domain in a workshop, so you can present the semantic strategy view of the EUR-LEX repository. We take also the occasion of this email for officially inviting John Dann for presenting ELI in the same day (Saturday 10th Sept). After a full-day of workshop we can continuing the discussion the specific issue.

 I am surprised. Our objective is to achieve meaningful conformance rules to Akoma Ntoso, identifying in each case the exact action on your side that, if taken, leads to a satisfactory resolution of our comment.
 Our key concern is that the question of interoperability of the identifiers (= naming convention) must be independent from the question of interoperability of the document structure. Compliance to one must not be a prerequisite for compliance to the other, though anybody who so wishes, can use them in combination. In this sense Akoma Ntoso should just follow the best practice of DocBook, a very successful OASIS standard, Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) and many other document formats.
The comparison with DocBook and TEI is misleading. Both standards aim at the definition of a common document structure.

Our concern, on the other hand, is NOT compliancy at the level of individual documents. Our concern is at the system interoperability level. This means making sure that individual documents can talk about and refer to other documents in a large number of document collections maintaining a high number of referential qualities, many more than those requested in the publishing industry (docBook), in the scholarly humanities (TEI), or in the web in general.

To wit: documents that do not allow interoperable access to their references should not be compliant Akoma Ntoso documents. This implies that I should not be required to know which naming convention your document uses internally to make a reference to it: if your XML document uses naming convention A, and mine uses naming convention B, I must be able to refer to your document using naming convention B, not A. This is the basic misunderstanding, I believe, of all this discussion.

 Your proposal does only partially reply to this concern. This is also at the very core of the National Archive's comment that it must not be mandatory to provide a converter from  a functionally equivalent naming convention syntax to the Akoma Ntoso equivalent.
A converter is necessary to allow documents using naming convention A to make references to documents using naming convention B.

From a technical point of view, building an architecture that binds compliance to an XML document structure to the presence and operation of specific technical components (resolver and converter) is the very opposite of a robust design for interoperability.
Akoma Ntoso IS NOT an XML document structure. Akoma Ntoso HAS an XML document structure, which is ONE of the three main pillars of its concept, the others being a naming convention and an ontological framework. As for the naming convention, we are not interested in compliance at the syntactical level, but at the conceptual level, to allow interoperability between document collections without compromises. we believe this is possible only through resolvers and converters. If there are better ways to reach that, we are very open to hear them. Otherwise, we believe that resolvers and converters must be the way to go.

However, compliance to the document structure of Akoma Ntoso _is_ one of our goal. In this sense, the question is not the presence of "one additional element", it is the coupling of two different concerns and dependence on third-party software components. Already from a long-term archiving perspective – a key concern at least for the OP – having formal validity depend on such an external mechanism is a no-go.
Let us be very clear on this regard: we do NOT like the idea of relying on software components more than you do. For this reason, the XML vocabulary, the Naming Convention and the TLCs were designed together (way before ELI) to work well together without requiring ANY specific sw tool with it.

After the comments you sent us, we agreed, in June 2016, to allow for other naming conventions to be used instead of the native Akoma Ntoso NC. This was consciously meant as an adaptation and a compromise, and it was decided to make sure that the most important requirements of the Akoma Ntoso infrastructure should be kept intact as much as possible.
This means allowing at most different syntaxes for references, but never a complete decoupling of the XML vocabulary from the referential infrastructure (FRBR, interoperability of references, versioning, renumbering, etc.).

This compromise MAY require software tools to be implemented, namely resolvers and converters. It is also very clear that we still believe the Akoma Ntoso naming convention is the natural naming convention that should be used with the XML vocabulary, and that equal footing should be not given to any odd proposal, but only to those that fulfill a number of reasonable prerequisites.

 These comments originate from the ELI Task Force and so focus on the concerns of ELI, but they equally apply to other identification schemes such as URN:LEX or (for case law) ECLI
Not so. ELI as a whole may or may not be immediately compliant. Nonetheless, as we understand them, many ELI implementations can be considered compliant (UK, FR, EU), other not so much (IE), others still absolutely not (IT). As for URN:LEX, the item about the resolver was exactly meant for it, and with the assumption that an URN:LEX resolver is provided, then URN:LEX can immediately be considered functionally equivalent according to the definitions given.

So you see, we did not intend to accommodate ELI as it is (which is too varied and too flexible, and therefore not robust at all), but many ELI implementations naturally fit the constraints we described, and they are good candidates for functional equivalence in our mind. URN:LEX is also robust and functionally equivalent, too, but it requires a resolver.

 In CEN and ISO we have used comment resolution meetings to come, if possible, to a mutually agreed disposition of comments. Of course, we would be available for such a meeting, is you consider it useful
 Best regards
 Marc
Happy to discuss about these issues soon in Ravenna.

Best regards,
Monica & Fabio

[...]

From a technical point of view, building an architecture that binds compliance to an XML document structure to the presence and operation of specific technical components (resolver and converter) is the very opposite of a robust design for interoperability. However, compliance to the document structure of Akoma Ntoso _is_ one of our goal. In this sense, the question is not the presence of "one additional element", it is the coupling of two different concerns and dependence on third-party software components. Already from a long-term archiving perspective – a key concern at least for the OP – having formal validity depend on such an external mechanism is a no-go.