legaldocml-comment message

Subject: Issue noted with browser rendering of PDF version of Akoma Ntoso v1.0 CS01 - and proposal for future

Hi Monica and LegalDocML TC members,

Yesterday, Chet Ensign noticed that the PDF version of the recently-published Akoma Ntoso v1.0 Part 2: Specifications [1] does not link properly to the 500+ HTML elements linked via the Table of Contents, when the PDF is viewed in some browsers.

We (OASIS TC Administration team) don't consider this significant enough to make changes to the current Committee Specification 01. The "Authoritative" version is the HTML, and it appears to work well in a variety of browsers.

We have found a fairly simple explanation of the issue for at least one major browser, and we would like to propose a change for your likely future publications - such as Candidate OASIS Standard and OASIS Standard.

We found that the links in the Table of Contents (essentially the entire document) function properly when the PDF is viewed in Firefox, but not in Chrome, or another browser we tested. Since Chrome's market share is over 50% worldwide, we feel this is a significant issue for potential readers.

We have found a fairly simple solution which we recommend you and the TC may consider.

First, we noted that Chrome DOES properly handle the PDF document's two links to the "schemas" directory and the "examples" directory (i.e., Appendix B and C).  Further investigation showed that Chrome is apparently misinterpreting the multiple dots/periods in the relative links (such as [2]) used in this CS01. A test in which we removed the initial part of a link (containing the extra dot/period in "v1.0") resulted in proper display in Chrome.

We recommend that the TC avoid using relative hyperlinks (i.e., without a fully-qualified domain name) which contain more than one dot/period, to ensure proper display in Chrome.

As a specific example, instead of
   akn-core-v1.0-cs01-part2-specs_xsd_Attribute_Group_agent.html
if possible, we would recommend simply:
   Attribute_Group_agent.html

We understand that many aspects of the file structure are managed in the Oxygen(R) XML Editor, and we don't know if making this change would be a significant burden.  We hope that the automated editor would make this a manageable change. Please contact Chet or me at any time to discuss this if needed. We'll be happy to help develop a solution if possible.

[1] http://docs.oasis-open.org/legaldocml/akn-core/v1.0/cs01/part2-specs/akn-core-v1.0-cs01-part2-specs.pdf
[2] typical hyperlink referenced in the TOC: (note more than one ".")
    akn-core-v1.0-cs01-part2-specs_xsd_Attribute_Group_agent.html

Best regards,
Paul
--
Paul Knight  - Tel: +1 781-883-1783
OASIS - Advancing open standards for the information society - Document Process Analyst