Subject: Fwd: [akomantoso-xml] >> [legaldocml] Retrofitting, with a foray into levels and labels

Dear all,

I am forwarding this message on behalf of Flavio Zeni.

Ciao

Fabio

--

Inizio messaggio inoltrato:

Da: Flavio Zeni <flavio.zeni@gmail.com>
Data: 20 maggio 2012 18.50.31 GMT+02.00
Cc: Tom Bruce <tom.bruce@cornell.edu>

Sorry but ... not able to post the OASIS group. So while learning how to do that :-) I post to this group.

Below you find "a" response to the email below-below of Tom.

Ciao

Flavio

Dear Tom and All,

               now I am not Fabio or Monica, who designed Akoma Ntoso, I am not an expert of XML either and so I should probably stop here :-) but since I am not wise also ...;-) let me try to contribute with a bit of history and my understanding of what makes Akoma Ntoso good but also at times difficult to appreciate.

The context where Akoma Ntoso was born and the task that we assigned to Fabio and Monica, was first and foremost a schema that could have dealt effectively with the different documents types, the different legal traditions and their "exceptions" that as we know are the in fact ... the rule.

When Fabio and Monica took up, what was indeed a "challenge", it was early 2006 and we had already a prototype schema which was first released in early 2005.

Fabio and Monica (from now on F&M and please keep in mind that I am not an expert but one that had to struggle to justify to many people what we were doing) could have taken what I can say a traditional approach and just deliver a "schema proliferation" to cover with different schemata all the possible documents types, the possible traditions etc. Many countries have taken this road and they are still adding new schemata with all the challenges that this bring in terms maintainability and tools.

The approach of F&M, based  on their  long experience to deal the mess of different legal ecosystem, was "simple", not a "tradional-schema" but, I hope F&M will not ... what we can call a "meta-schema" that is Akoma Ntoso.

Through the years one of the main challenges that we had, I am not talking about the technical ones, was to win over the natural suspicion that Akoma Ntoso could not possibly "fit my data"! The fear has always been that Akoma Ntoso "secret" aim was to "standardise" how documents are made, to reduce the different individualities, to slave "my data" to the will of Akoma Ntoso.

This natural resistance to Akoma Ntoso was mainly fed by the assumption that Akoma Ntoso was a "schema" in the traditional way. That Akoma Ntoso was a "master" that dictates how a law should be marked up, what should be its structure, et. et.

That was also my "fear", I have to say, and it took me a while before appreciating the great work of F&M. In my understanding of Akoma Ntoso, that I hope may shed also some light for you too, Akoma Ntoso is not as "schema-old-school", is like a Lego box of building blocks, you have windows, doors, corners, tiles, roofs etc. for you to freely use.

Lego bricks are used all over the world, by different children to build totally different houses. Lego bricks do the limit the individuality, on the contrary (to a certain extend since ... but this would be material for another e-mails) they provide the "bricks" to express it.

Akoma Ntoso is a Lego box of legal XML tags for people of different traditions and languages to build their own schema. It does not limit your creativity, it does not impose you to markup ... if not what you want. You may say but ... isn't this too little, should we "standardise" more ... we all know that it may not work and having common bricks is already a huge step forward, I would say.

May be all the above was all very clear to you. If that is the case, my apologies, I just wanted to share my personal struggle to eventually come to appreciate the originality of Akoma Ntoso and the potentiality that it may have.

This is NOT to say that is perfect or that there are not probably many things to fix and to improve. That has to be clear. I personally feel that thanks all your expertise and experiences we will eventually have a better Akoma Ntoso ... for all enjoy marking up, what they wish, the way the wish ... of course in an Akoma Ntoso compliant way :-)

Hope to have been of some use. Sure F&M will address the technical issues.

ciao

Flavio

Chief Technical Adviser
Africa i-Parliaments Action Plan