Subject: Re: [legaldocml] Meeting Discussions

Dear Ashok,

many thanks for your positive attitude and for your suggestions that are really welcome.

The last three meetings were affected by different issues that need to be fixed with some countermeasures:
a) during the summer period some people skipped several TC meetings (normal phenomena, not pathologic) and consequently the dialogue was little bit fragmented;
Countermeasure: all the TC members are encouraged to read the previous minutes and material before the next meeting, in order to arrive updated to the TC meeting.
b) we lost too much time to waiting for people in the chat due to the delay because we need to obtain the quorum;
Countermeasure: punctuality in the TC meeting in order to not loose time and maintain the schedule
c) confusion on the date of the TC meetings. We MUST schedule a tentative calendar for the next two months with the possibility to have some derogation but just for very urgent reasons.
Countermeasure: define the calendar in the first TC meeting of month and minimize the changes (see the tentative calendar below).
d) administrative issues (e.g. SVN architecture, contracts, etc.) affect the time of the technical discussion.
Countermeasure: try to manage these issues using the mailing list.

About the two points that you pointed out, you are right:
  • The Agenda meeting was usually defined at the end of each TC meeting according to the interest to the other TC members. The problem in my opinion is not only limited to the Agenda, but to be able to delivery in time the minutes and the material useful for the following meeting. For this reason some voluntaries are really necessary especially for the minutes. We can apply, as the others TC made, the turn over among the secretaries. For the material we must define at the end of each meeting who is in charge to prepare the material for the following TC meeting according to the Agenda topics. Countermeasure: The material must be delivered 2 days before the TC with the agenda and the minutes have to be assigned to different persons over time for sharing the effort.
  • Terminology discussion is important in the TC discussion for harmonizing the definitions among people with different backgrounds but also for focusing the use-case scenarios (e.g. Consolidated Amendment, Redlining, etc.).  Apart of the fact that the glossary is a mandatory part in the deliverable for the Public Review OASIS documentation, the terminology on the AMENDMENT is really a key point. Indeed the glossary is larger rather than this and we will discuss less critical parts of it by mailing list as you suggested. So yes, we can continue this activity via mailing list, but only on the part not so linked to new requirements for Akoma Ntoso. Countermeasure: we discuss in the mailing list the terminology list and definitions. For the terminology linked to particular scenarios we need to focus the use-case in the TC for improving Akoma Ntoso features.
In addition to these considerations we need some improvements also in the following issues:
  • SVN management for not overload the mailing list. Countermeasure: find the technical solution appropriate.
  • material organization and contributions by the TC membersCountermeasure: more contributions from the TC members with pilot cases, requirements, proposals. We could also reconsider to switch to SKYPE for favouring a more interactive debate even if  some partners have problem to use SKYPE.

RECAP and MOTIONS:
#1. turn the minutes task  among the people in the TC meetings
#2 define the agenda at the end of each TC meeting in a precise way
#3 assign the material preparation to different persons in the TC
#4 deliver the material, minutes, and official agenda at least two days before the TC
#5. fix every month the calendar of the TC meetings and put in KAVI the call for participation (since now even if it is incomplete: without agenda, minutes, material. This is the counter-effect: to have multiple reminder emails)
#6. increase the meeting each week with a technical group meeting and a official meeting
#7. increase the punctuality in the TC meeting

PLEASE EXPRESS your VOTE by EMAIL or propose your new MOTION.

PROPOSAL of CALENDAR: I take also the occasion for proposing you the calendar for Sept and Oct:
- 28 Sept regular time 12.00-1.00pm EDT (some people at 26th has problem)
- 2 Oct. regular time
- 10 Oct. regular time
- 17 Oct. regular time
-  24 Oct. regular time
-  31 Oct. regular time.

ALSO ON THE CALENDAR please express your availability.

NEXT MEETING AGENDA:
- Vote the previous minutes (5 minutes)
- Scenario and connected terminology on the AMENDMENTS and BILL in the different legal traditions for capturing new functionalities (40 minutes)
- Vote the contracts of Veronique and Grant (circulation of the document before the meeting) (5 minutes)
- Definition of the following TC meeting agenda (5 minutes)
- Definition of the tasks and assignments for the following TC meeting (5 minutes)

ALSO ON THIS TENTATIVE AGENDA please express your thought.

I hope these can help to improve the productivity of the TC.

Yours,
Monica Palmirani