Subject: Re: [legaldocml] Re: [akomantoso-xml] FRBRcountry

Dear Mark,

wow, this is though. Values for element FRBRcountry have three important constraints, and I hope we can find a way to satisfy all three at the same time:

1) Values must be taken from the ISO 3166 (alpha-2) country codes, when existing (which is difficult in and by itself, as ISO 3166 only maps countries that existed from 1974 onward, and if we have a piece of legislation still enacted but coming from a country that stopped existing before 1974, we have problems).
2) Values must be short enough so as to be re-usable in the Work URIs as their first fragment
3) They must, you know, identify the country and/or jurisdiction of the document.

ISO 3166 is by no means complete. It only lists countries existing in 1974 and onward (so when we'll be dealing with past countries, we will have to invent something). ISO 3166-2 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2 ) has most sub-country jurisdictions (US states, Italian regions and provinces, German Ländern, etc.).

For UK ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:GB ), we have codes the four main countries (actually, two separate codes for Welsh, in English and Welsh), plus "England: 27 two-tier counties, 32 London boroughs, 36 metropolitan districts, 55 unitary authorities, 1 city corporation. Northern Ireland: 26 districts, Scotland: 32 council areas, Wales: 22 unitary authorities". We also have codes for England and Wales, Great Britain and United Kingdom (the difference between the latter two somehow escapes me, but anyhow).

To summarize, my opinion is this:

1) if we have an appropriate code in ISO 3166-1 or ISO 3166-2, we should use it.
2) If we do not have an appropriate code, we should invent one with a special syntax
3) If we need multiple codes, currently the standard does not allow multiple FRBRCountry. If the need really exist, we should modify the standard.

Hope this clarifies.

Ciao

Fabio