Subject: Re: [legaldocml] California Gutted Bill Example

Thanks Dale, Andrew.

I knew the concept existed at the federal level, but I hadn't figure out how to find an example. I would never have thought to look up "Vehicle Bill".

I'm feeling that this type of situation requires special handling in Akoma Ntoso. Having a file carry all it's prior history after the bill has been substitute in its entirety with something all new seems a bit cumbersome.

-Grant

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Weber, Andrew <anwe@loc.gov> wrote:

This sounds very similar to a vehicle bill in the U.S. Congress.  A high profile example of this was H.R.3590 in the 111th Congress.

Its official title as introduced was: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the first-time homebuyers credit in the case of members of the Armed Forces and certain other Federal employees, and for other purposes.  It was stripped and turned into the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (http://beta.congress.gov/bill/111th-congress/house-bill/3590 the big U.S. health care reform bill also referred to as Obamacare).

Here are two posts on this type of occurrence http://blogs.loc.gov/law/2010/10/a-bill-by-any-other-name/ and http://blogs.loc.gov/law/2011/08/the-curious-history-of-the-2011-debt-ceiling-legislation/.

Andrew

From: legaldocml@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:legaldocml@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Grant Vergottini
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:30 PM
To: legaldocml@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [legaldocml] California Gutted Bill Example

Hi All,

In California, each legislator has a limited amount of bills they may introduce each session and there is a deadline for bill introduction. As a result, all legislators use up their allotment by the bill introduction deadline in late February and will often later sacrifice a bill in order to tackle a higher priority subject. In this case, an existing bill is "gutted". It's content, in its entirety is replaced with all new content usually addressing a subject unrelated to the original subject.

In this case, the manner in which a bill is shown as "gutted" can be quite intricate - and the redlining rules are cumbersome. In addition, rather than showing the entire prior version of the bill stricken out, a JR11 note is added to the bottom of the bill.

In the example I have included, you can see a gutted bill. You will see that the is a note in a box that points the reader to the prior version of the bill before it was gutted.

-- Grant
Grant Vergottini
Xcential Group, LLC.
email: grant.vergottini@xcential.com