Subject: Re: [akomantoso-xml] RE: Akoma Ntoso as a working /in-progress document

From my viewpoint, the there are perhaps a cascade of cases - each one following the other through the drafting process:

1) The initial state of a document being created. Is it possible to have a document that is valid according to the schema, which has yet to contain any information? This document could be a form of a template. Is a template a valid Akoma Ntoso document? (This is close to Monica's second case)

2) Is it possible to have an incomplete document, partially drafted, that is still a valid document. Sometimes it takes a long time to draft legislation and it must be possible to save, analyze, and pre-publish documents that are yet to be completed .(This is also close to Monica's second case)

3) Some aspects of an Akoma Ntoso document, such as the metadata section, rely on heavy analysis of a drafted document. Is the intent that this analysis will take place throughout the editing session or can it be postponed to a discrete time either before or after the document is saved or even finalized. If it is possible to postpone analysis to a discrete time, is it still possible to have a valid document even without the analysis having taken place? How strict should Akoma Ntoso be in ensuring that all the steps have been completed? Or does this check belong with the software and not with the schema?

4) Some aspects of the document may not initially be known and might not even be known until the bill is adopted. For example, the effective date of a piece of legislation perhaps won't be known until such time as the legislation is adopted. When this is the case, and a date is speculative, proposed, or unknown, how should this information be represented in Akoma Ntoso? Is it represented by an "unknown" date or is it omitted until it is known? (I believe this is Monica's first case)

Monica's fourth case is a special case to me - I think. I usually refer to these as "operational conditions" which are sometimes very hard to automate. There are many ways in which an event in time could be specified to occur. The simple case is the "operational date" specified as a fixed date which is easy to automate. But what do you do when the event occurs based on conditions which cannot easily be automated? For example, legislation that comes into effect only if other legislation is also passed, repealed, or amended. How are these conditions characterized in Akoma Ntoso? While this problem is relatively rare, it does occur frequently enough to deserve accommodation in Akoma Ntoso.

Regards,
   -Grant