Subject: Interesting Issues with Utah legislation

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on a project for the Utah legislature over the past few days. Here is a sample doc I have been working with:

http://le.utah.gov/~2010/bills/hbillint/hjr014.pdf

 I've found a few interesting things that I'm not sure how to handle in Akoma Ntoso:

1) This is a joint resolution - not a bill. In California a joint resolution is nothing like a bill, but it seems that a joint resolution is very similar to a bill in both Utah and at the federal level. Shouldn't there be a resolution type in Akoma Ntoso?

2) The quoted structure includes the joint rule section that is being amended AND the headings up the hierarchy. Take a look at line 28 (aka page 2, line 1).

3) They convert a paragraph into a list and show the change using some very simple redlining. But behind the scenes, if the XML model is actually a rearranging of the text into a list structure, figuring out the simple redlining they show would be very difficult. Take a look at lines 75, 76, and 77.

By the way, when this situation arose in California, our solution was to skirt around it altogether by disallowing list structures. Instead, we simply have paragraphs which may be numbered. It's not semantically as rich, but there was no way we could justify the cost of providing a more sophisticated solution which used list structures. In this case, we could simply treat this as splitting a paragraph into three paragraphs.

-- Grant
Grant Vergottini
Xcential Group, LLC.
email: grant.vergottini@xcential.com