Subject: Re: [legaldocml] Bills and Acts

Dear Grant,

I understand your linguistic doubts, and I see your points. Thanks.

However "bill" and "act" are two general terms selected as representative of two concepts.

In the semiotic triangles of Peirce the concept is represented by a sign, a sign is a representative term/picture/etc. (usually it is the best term for represent the concept), an object is the concrete thing in the real world.

So during the last 5 years, when Akoma Ntoso core was founded, we had about 20 seminars around the world (Africa, Europe, Latin America, US, etc.) and we have interviewed about 1000 people at the end we decided to use "bill" for representing all the proposed legislation/regulation/order not yet approved by the authority and "act" for any legislative/regulative/government normative document approved by the authority.

Take also in consideration that "bill" is really a general concept and it deosn't represent any legislative procedural step. "bill" is a pre-proposal, it is the document proposed officially to the clerk, it is the document discussed in the assembly, it is the document approved by the Senate but not yet approved by the Chamber, etc. Bill is any draft document of a future "law" in any steps of any legal tradition, in any law-making system.

Similarly "act" includes all the endorsed/approved documents by a empowered authority, including, paradoxically also the autocratic and military regime documents. :-)

They are only and simply abstract terms for representing all the other types of legal document according with each state legal tradition.
It is a synecdoche: we use a part for representing the whole.

I am confident that we can can explain this in the documentation of the D1 that I am now populating for this afternoon.

Cheers,
Monica