Subject: Re: [akomantoso-xml] Workflow - editorial workflow ?

Dear Ashok,

> Can <workflow> be used for representing an editorial workflow (note : NOT a procedural workflow ) ... something to record the document being edited by different people in a team and going through various states (which dont have procedural significance ) ... or is <lifecycle> a more appropriate place for that ?

the issue regards, as usual, the FRBR level. Both workflow and lifecycle were thought to describe the Expression, i.e. to describe how that specific version of the content of the document came into being. What you are asking is whether we can use them to describe the Manifestation, i.e. to describe how that specific set of editorial actions came into being.

In the documentation, there is nothing that requires workflow steps and/or lifecycle events to refer to Expressions. Thus I believe you can use them both to specify steps and events that affect Manifestations. Therefore my opinion is that you can/should use both.

Again, the distinction between workflow and lifecycle of a Manifestation is the same that we have for Expressions: a workflow step is a step in a formalized chains of steps that produces the current document, and the nature and details of these steps is hidden in some ontological characterization of the refers, actor, role, outcome attributes of the <step> element. On the other hand, a lifecycle event is a moment in time that corresponds to the creation, caused by another document, of a specific instance of this document, and the moment in time, the other document and the type of this event can be specified in the attributes of the <event> element.

Thus as long as you are non-ambiguous in the selection of the values for these attributes, you can and should use both. I provide an invented example of a series of Manifestations being created on date1 by Alice, edited on date2 by Bruce, approved on date3 by Chris and published on date4 by Debbie:

<workflow source="#fv">
	... Expression-specific workflow steps ...
	<step date="date1" actor="#Alice"  as="#drafter"   refersTo="#drafting" outcome="#draft1" />
	<step date="date2" actor="#Bruce"  as="#editor"    refersTo="#editing"  outcome="#draft1" />
	<step date="date3" actor="#Chris"  as="#boss"      refersTo="#approval"  />
	<step date="date4" actor="#Debbie" as="#publisher" refersTo="#publishing" />
</workflow>
<references source="#fv">
	<TLCReference name="firstDraft"   id="draft1" href="/kn/act/2013/123/@/v1.akn" showAs="first draft of XML"/>
	<TLCReference name="amendedDraft" id="draft2" href="/kn/act/2013/123/@/v2.akn" showAs="amended draft of XML"/>