Subject: RE:[legaldocml] RE:[legaldocml] RE:[legaldocml] Two similar tags: alinea and intro

De : grant.vergottini@gmail.com [grant.vergottini@gmail.com] de la part de Grant Vergottini [grant.vergottini@xcential.com]
Envoyé : vendredi 17 mai 2013 0:33
À : Fabio Vitali
Cc : giuseppe.briotti@senato.it; PARISSE, Véronique; legaldocml@lists.oasis-open.org

So, let's get to a specific case:

<paragraph>
   <num>A</num>
   <content>
   </content>
</paragraph>

In this case, it could be marked as (because it is so-called in amendment)

<paragraph>
   <num>A</num>
   <subparagraph>
      <content>
      </content
  </subparagraph>
   <subparagraph>
      <content>
      </content
  </subparagraph>
</paragraph>

Example

1.           The Common Aviation Area Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, on the one part, and the Republic of Moldova, of the other part, is hereby concluded on behalf of the Union.

The text of the Agreement is attached to this Decision.

<article id="_2012200034">

   <subparagraph id="_2012200037">
       </content>
    </subparagraph>

    <subparagraph id="_2012200039">
        </content>
    </subparagraph>

</paragraph>
</article>

 So, in the amendment, the reference to one <p> is article 1 - paragraph 1 - subparagraph 1 (or 2)

Kind regards

Véronique

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Fabio Vitali <fabio@cs.unibo.it> wrote:
Dear Grant,

> So do we have some confusion by having a tag also called <an:alinea> when the "paragraph" meaning from French is intended? How do we clarify this?

There is only one guideline applying for elements belonging to the legislative hierarchy (i.e., the hcontainer pattern): whenever describing a legislative structure, you should use the name that is the closest to what your local tradition uses for it. Therefore, if (FOR THE SAME STRUCTURE) civil law countries use the term "article" (articolo, articulo, artigo, article, artikel, etc.) whereas common law countries use "section", you SHOULD USE "article" when marking a civil law document, and "section" when marking a common law document. This implies, for instance, that "section" means a different kind of structure when describing a civil law document than a common law country, because they use the term differently. This is a design feature and not a design bug of Akoma Ntoso.

> (Another interesting construct I see, which I have been arguing with my colleagues here within Xcential about in recent weeks, is the nesting of an <an:p> within an <an:paragraph>. To me it seems redundant and only adds weight to the markup. Fabio??)

Patterns, patterns, patterns. Combined with the fact that legislators all over the world like to use common terms for specialized purposes. So, a paragraph in legislation is NOT "a subdivision of a written composition that consists of one or more sentences, deals with one point or gives the words of one speaker, and begins on a new usually indented line" (Webster Dictionary). Rather, in the US, "the Code is divided into 51 titles. All titles have sections as their basic coherent units, and sections are numbered sequentially across the entire title. Sections are often divided into (from largest to smallest) subsections, paragraphs, subparagraphs, clauses, subclauses, items, and subitems." (Wikipedia)

Hope this is clearer.

Ciao

Fabio

--

Fabio Vitali                            Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly,
Dept. of Computer Science        Man got to sit and wonder "Why, why, why?'

Grant Vergottini
Xcential Group, LLC.
email: grant.vergottini@xcential.com
phone: 858.361.6738