Subject: RE:Some questions about possible alternative markup

Dear Fabio,

Many thanks for your answer

For me there is an important difference : <ul> and <ol> is used to mark structure.  it is not simple an inline element.
We can easily convert a <i> into a <span> or something like this, it is only a shortcut.
But <ol> and <ul> introduce a break in the Akoma Ntoso structure and the conversion is not garanteed because this structure is an exception to the Akoma Ntoso model.
And I don't see any advantage to use it (taking into account that a <foreign> element exists).

Kind regards

Véronique

PS. As you suggest, I share this discussion with the list

Véronique Parisse
AUBAY Luxembourg
Orco House
38, Parc d’activités - L-8308 Capellen
Standard : +352 2992501
Fax : +352 299251
www.aubay.com

De : Fabio Vitali [fabio@cs.unibo.it]
Envoyé : mercredi 18 décembre 2013 17:44
À : PARISSE, Véronique
Cc : monica.palmirani@unibo.it

Dear Veronique,

> what is the interest to mark as a <ol> or <ul> ?

> Why, inside a legal text, allow the use of <list> and  <blockList> ?

They belong to two different and separate patterns. These are the MOST IMPORTANT propriety of any element in Akoma Ntoso: mixing up patterns is the worst possible choice one can make.

Both are needed inside a legal text. The issue of which to choose is a matter of personal sensibility.

> Is there any interest to standardise the currentId composition because the currentId is depending of a technical choice ?

Yes! Not standardizing means allowing any choice and forcing lookup in all cases. Standardizing means providing a reasonable choice that will probably work without lookup in most cases. By NON standardizing, you are sure that your guesswork will not work. With the standardization, you will be probably right most of the times. Good enough for me, I would say.

> More general question : two models together inside a legal text : where to start the second one ?

Again: it is a matter of personal sensibility. Blocks exist in  all types of texts, hierarchies only in hierarchical documents (e.g., bills and acts). Therefore blockList is more important than list because it has a wider appeal. Hierarchical <list>s, on the other hand, exist because in some special cases you have an element of the hierarchy that has no special name, it is just a list. It is a minor, specialized choice.

From my point of view, <list> should be used whenever you are sure that the element you are dealing with belongs to a hierarchy (e.g., when further sub-hierarchies exist, or when it is clear that it has the same role and purpose as tome, book, section, paragraph, article, etc.). You should use blockList anywhere else.

Ciao

Fabio

--

P.S. Can we share this discussion with the list?

--

Fabio Vitali                            Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly,
Dept. of Computer Science        Man got to sit and wonder "Why, why, why?'