Subject: Schema Review Findings

Hi Monica, Fabio,

I am working with rather large documents now, via transforms into the latest schema - large enough to crash Oxygen with regularity. A few observations - none of which would be showstoppers to me. (The inability to have a dash, as reported earlier is a bigger issue for me)

1) I notice that table cells cannot contain character content. That's different from HTML and a bit cumbersome. Is there a reason that the <td> element is defined to be so complex?

2) I'm still not crazy about the <wrap> element. I keep mistaking it for a wrapper rather than a concluder.

3) I am having to create a <block name="heading" eid="..."> in my <note> elements that have headings. While it is a workable solution, it seems a little awkward.

4) I find having to have an @eId on the <heading> and <content> elements to be a little heavy handed. I think they should be optional.

5) We have something called source note or source credit. It shows up in California, Hong Kong, and the U.S. Code. It's simply a note in the form of a citation to the legislation that originated or last amended the provision. I've modeled it as follows:

It this the best approach? Should it be a note? Opinions?

6) How should I denote provisions that are shown as "omitted". This shows up both in Hong Kong and in the U.S. Code. It is often a tombstone for a provision that has been expended or spent - it no longer has any effect although it is not repealed. Similarly, there are cases where repealed provisions are retained in the text (as repealed) for informative or editorial reasons.

7) I used <alinea> for a provision that I found between two <paragraphs> It doesn't seem to belong to either paragraph. Is this the correct usage? If not, what is?

I think this is enough review for now.

-- Grant
Grant Vergottini
Xcential Group, LLC.