Subject: Kudos to Fabio and LegalDocML TC [ was: Table of content for the Customizing Akoma Ntoso document]

Kudos to Fabio and his development/spec teams on the posting below [1a], about Akoma Ntoso (schema) customizations, restrictions, extensions, etc

  https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/legaldocml/201805/msg00002.html

Fabio references what I consider a very cool online tool "AKN4UN Subschema Frontend", reminding me of a similar tool created for the TEI

TEI Guidelines Pizza Chef
http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/P4/pizza.html
"...build a DTD that contains just the elements you want, suitable for use with any XML processing system"

I had occasion a few years to discuss and praise this technical design in Akoma Ntoso, cribbed up from several resources, and perhaps how in need of revision, but here's the excerpt from my cribbing:

[Akoma Ntoso schema and its implementations]

"... it is expected that developers of these applications/implementations, as well as end user customizations, will modify the Akoma Ntoso schema for use in various jurisdictions, exploiting the extensibility models and customization features. Why "modify"? Because that's the way it works: customization and extension are key to the design.

[resource - needs update] discusses "customizations to the general Akoma Ntoso schema that imply performing actual modifications to the actual schema". A fuller treatment of customizations, explaining Akoma Ntoso as "more like a Lego box full of building bricks," is presented by Flavio Zeni in the April 2014 OpenParl News Brief:

    "We can say that Akoma Ntoso is a meta-schema that allows you to build your own schema: it provides the building blocks for different organisations to use to build their own very individual schemas. Having organisations using similar building blocks, identifying these blocks in a similar fashion goes a long way to allow greater integration and exchange of documents as well as reusability of software tools..."

Akoma Ntoso thus provides the building blocks for you to create the specific schema you need, and it allows you to add new (markup) elements and modify base schema elements if you need them. AKN defines the core vocabulary and allows use of the vocabulary and atomic component markup structures to be composed variably for different jurisdictions and their legal genres..."

In the current version of the tool at today's location, you can see (enjoy!) how the schema tool works:

AKN4UN Subschema Frontend (1.0 beta)
for Release 30/03/2017 - Akoma Ntoso 3.0 - Published 06/06/2017
http://akn.web.cs.unibo.it/akgenerator/

UN-specific Combinations
http://akn.web.cs.unibo.it/akgenerator/#tabs0

Available Modules
http://akn.web.cs.unibo.it/akgenerator/#tabs1

Heading Rules
http://akn.web.cs.unibo.it/akgenerator/#tabs2

Document Rules
http://akn.web.cs.unibo.it/akgenerator/#tabs3

Custom Rules
http://akn.web.cs.unibo.it/akgenerator/#tabs4

See (maybe with updates from Fabio or Monica)

"Akoma Ntoso - why-what"
https://mysociety.sayit.mysociety.org/akoma-ntoso-why-what

Congratulations also to the members of the C on recent approval for a Candidate OASIS Standard

OASIS LegalDocumentML (LegalDocML) TC
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/legaldocml/
Monica Palmirani [ monica.palmirani@unibo.it ] Chair
Fabio Vitali [ fabio@cs.unibo.it ] Chair