Subject: Notice of upcoming change to OASIS TC Open Repositories

Members of the copied TCs,

For some time, we have encountered confusion about OASIS Open Repositories (open source projects initiated by a Technical Committee) and Open Projects (open source projects independent of the OASIS TC Process but with a pathway to standardization). People inside of OASIS and out have told us that they get the two confused.

To address this, we are preparing to change the program name from "OASIS TC Open Repositories" to "OASIS TC Public Repositories." Because your TC has one or more open repos set up, we're writing to give you advance notice so that you can ask questions and look at whether this might affect your project.

The process of doing this will involve several changes. The biggest will be the change of the GitHub organization from https://github.com/oasis-open/ to .../oasis-tc-public-repos/. This will require my updating links on README files, etc. and recreating the original org and setting it to private so that it remains reserved for our use.

According to GitHub (https://help.github.com/en/github/setting-up-and-managing-organizations-and-teams/renaming-an-organization), it will automatically redirect references to the repositories. Web links to existing repositories will continue to work.

You can continue pushing your local repositories to old remote tracking URLs without updating. However, they recommend updating all existing remote repository URLs after changing the organization name.

Previous Git commits will also be correctly attributed to the correct users.

After the change, any references to the old organization name https://github.com/oasis-open/ will return a 404 error. I will be updating all of our documentation to point to the new organization. API requests that use the old organization's name will also return a 404 error. I don't know that anyone has set up any such APIs but if you have, please let me know.

I will also go through references to your Open Repos on your TC webpages and update them for you.

While the name change itself will be quick, the checking and updating will take me several days. I will send out a note to you all once that is completed.

/chetÂ
Chet Ensign
Chief Technical Community Steward
OASIS: Advancing open source & open standards for the information society
http://www.oasis-open.org

Mobile: +1 201-341-1393Â