Subject: Tentative release of Akoma Ntoso 3.0 (03 January 2022)

Dear all,

please find enclosed a tentative release of Akoma Ntoso dated 03 January 2022. This release aims at providing an initial support for more sophisticated definitions as requested by many. By way of example, I will use Veronique's EU fragment sent to me on Dec. 29th, 2021. Attached you can also find her example, fully marked up.

The solution allows four alternative ways for creating definitions, all compatible with each other and of increasing complexity and expressive power.

SOLUTION A - the simplest.
This solution is very simple and it is already possible with the pre-existing vocabulary. It uses implicit association, identifies the definiendum (element <def>) and assumes that the definiens is the hcontainer around the definiendum. Not appropriate for more precise identification or for more complex structures.

> <point eId="art_2__para_1__point_1">
>   <num>(1)</num>
>   <content>
>       Union within the meaning of Article 20(1) TFEU;</p>
>   </content>
> </point>

SOLUTION B - more precise.
This solution uses a single new inline element "defBody", and a new global attribute @defines pointing to the id of the <def> element which it is the definiens of. The element is an inline, and it allows you to map with the required precision every definiendum to a single sentence anywhere in the document (but not a whole structure such as a whole point or a whole article).

> <point eId="art_2__para_1__point_1">
>   <num>(1)</num>
>   <content>
>       Union within the meaning of Article 20(1) TFEU</defBody>;</p>
>   </content>
> </point>

SOLUTION C - more flexible.

The attribute "defines", placed inside point (2) (first line) creates a mapping between the whole of the point (the definition body) and the definiendum (element def with eId "def_2").

> <point eId="art_2__para_1__point_2" defines="#def_2">
>   <num>(2)</num>
>   <intro>
>       who:</p>
>   </intro>
>   <point eId="art_2__para_1__point_2__point_a">
>     <num>(a)</num>
>     <content>
>         national employment law or in accordance with national practice,
>         irrespective of the legal relationship, for the purpose of
>         exercising genuine and effective work for, or under the
>         direction of, another person;</p>
>     </content>
>   </point>
>   <point eId="art_2__para_1__point_2__point_b">
>     <num>(b)</num>
>     <content>
>     </content>
>   </point>
>   <point eId="art_2__para_1__point_2__point_c">
>     <num>(c)</num>
>     <content>
>     </content>
>   </point>
> </point>

SOLUTION D - complete, flexible, sophisticated

>     <analysis source="#FV">
>       <definitions source="#FV">
>         <definition refersTo="#highskills">
>           <definitionHead href="#def_9" refersTo="#hps"/>
>           <definitionBody href="#art_2__para_1__point_9_point_a"/>
>           <definitionBody href="#art_2__para_1__point_9_point_b"/>
>         </definition>
>       </definitions>
>     </analysis>
>     <references source="#FV">
>       <TLCTerm    href="/ontology/term/higherprofessionalskills" showAs="higher professional skills" eId="hps"/>
>       <TLCConcept href="/ontology/concept/highskills" showAs="high Skills" eId="highskills"/>
>     </references>
> [...]
>   <point eId="art_2__para_1__point_9">
> 	<num>(9)</num>
> 	<intro>
> 	</intro>
> 	<point eId="art_2__para_1__point_9_point_a">
> 	  <num>(a)</num>
> 	  <content>
> 		  and competences attested by professional experience at a level
> 		  comparable to higher education qualifications, which are
> 		  relevant to the profession or sector specified in the work
> 		  contract or binding job offer, and which have been acquired over
> 		  the duration set out in Annex I for each relevant
> 		  occupation;</p>
> 	  </content>
> 	</point>
> 	<point eId="art_2__para_1__point_9_point_b">
> 	  <num>(b)</num>
> 	  <content>
> 		  national law or national procedures, knowledge, skills and
> 		  competences attested by at least 5 years of professional
> 		  experience at a level comparable to higher education
> 		  qualifications and which are relevant to the profession or
> 		  sector specified in the work contract or binding job offer;</p>
> 	  </content>
> 	</point>
>   </point>

Ciao

Fabio

--

Modifications introduced in the 03/01/2022 Release

- Added elements <definitions>, <definition>, <definitionHead>, <definitionBody>, <scope> inside the analysis block
- Added element <defBody> as an inline available everywhere in the body
- Added attribute @defines as an optional global attribute for all body elements

--

Fabio Vitali                                          The sage and the fool
Dept. of Informatics                                     go to their graves