legalruleml message

Subject: Re: Time Instants or Time Points

Hi Tara,

Yes, I also think we need both. That is why I propose to use a more general <Collection> which can be typed (type="..") with different sorts.

1. Is there a default selection between continuous and discrete timescale that would resolve this ambiguity?

Yes, the default one is a time interval semantics.
(On a side note: this distinction in interval semantics and point in time semantics is important as it avoids ambiguity in the algebra operators for complex events, as we have shown in our interval base event calculus semantic for complex event processing)

2. According to the schema, the content model appears to be essentially
unrestricted: <ruleml:Time><ruleml:content>...anything...</ruleml:content></ruleml:Time>

The additional choice of a <content> role tag with unrestricted XML content model is an extension point of the Reaction RuleML syntax, which allows embedding one of the many existing XML serializations for time data from the various communities which deal with time.

3. Is it possible to use the element <ruleml:Time> to describe a timepoint that is 6 months after some named timepoint?

Yes, this is a temporal operation

<After>
      <ruleml:Time key="#t1">...</ruleml:Time>
      <ruleml:Time><ruleml:Data xsi:type="xs:duration">6M</ruleml:Data></ruleml:Time>
</After>

BTW, I just encountered that I had sent my regrets for the last telecon on Wednesday not from my gmx address but from my university address  which apparently seems to be rejected by the mailing list. Sorry, for that. I attach it again with the example version which preserves the advantages and conveniently combines it with the rest of RuleML.

-Adrian