legalruleml message

Subject: Re: [legalruleml] definition of Association

On 1/8/14 12:11 PM, Guido Governatori wrote:
Tara, thanks for the effort.

The definition is not very clear to me. I would go for the meaning (a set set of triples) ignoring the implementation aspects (i.e., that we use two sets of pairs). Also the set of triples does not says too much on what we use Association for.
Fine. How would you state that?

In my view the glossary should give definitions explaining the intuition of the terms (we have the schematic for the specifications of how we build our structures)

I think that "a set of typed relationships between non target entities and a target entity".
This wording suggests there are many non-target entities but only one target. But that is not the case.

I think whether an Association is a set of triples or a set of sets of ordered pairs, or ... is less important than a clear explanation that the triples/pairs/... include all possible combinations between the non-target entities and the target entities. This information is not so much about the structure, but how to interpret the structure, which is not obvious, since we don't give the triples/pairs explicitly.
Mathematically this is represented as. {R1,..., Rn}, where each Ri is  of type  Entity x Entity, namely each Ri is a set of ordered pairs.

Thus, if we want to be more explicit, we can add "...' where each the type of a relationship describe the nature of how a non target entity is associated with a target entity."

I'm not particularly happy with "associated with" (suggestions are welcome).
Well, "associated with" goes along with the name <Association>. If we change the wording of "associated with", we should correspondingly change the name of the element.

Tara
All the best

Guido

Sent from my iPad