legalruleml message

Subject: Constitutive rules and metarules

Dear LegalRuleML TC members,

I am looking at the LegalRuleML core specification to compare some of its features to the model of constitutive rules that I recently built. I noticed that the explanation of constitutive rules is very short, and also the examples are very few. In particular, I was not able to understand:

1-which type of information can be added as “head” of constitutive rules. I can figure out how to build legal definitions (even though the “counts as” relation is missing – small issue-, and so is the context – bigger issue, see below) but how am I supposed to build other types of constitutive effects such as the “party to the law” statements (i.e. x is the subject of rule y) or relative necessities (x that doesn’t have the characteristic y does not count as z in rule k)? These are mainly metarules, so I guess my question is firstly “can we express metarules in LegalRuleML”?

2- how to represent the context of constitutive rules. The “jurisdiction” tag within the “context” block is not enough, because sometimes the context of a constitutive rule does not correspond to an entire jurisdiction: for example, most legal definitions only apply within the law that they appear in (think about Article 4 of most EU directives). How can we specify that “x counts as y in context z” where this z can be not just a jurisdiction but also a legal document?

If there is any material re constitutive rules within LegalRuleML besides the core specification, I would be grateful if you could point me there so I can investigate these issues myself.

Best,

Marcello

P.S. the model of constitutive rules I am referring to: http://www.mirelproject.eu/MIRELws@ICAIL/MIRELwsPubs/Ceci-etal-MIRELwsAtICAIL.pdf