legalruleml message

Subject: Fw: LRML and alternative logics

Hi All,

I'm glad to see that Livio and I have converged on the same sources of information about the relationship between RuleML and logics/semantics.

Below, please find a correspondence between myself and Harold from over a week ago. Some of the links that Livio brings in are similar. So, now we have some references and additional material.

I have not yet read through or digested this material - it is rather complex (as it should be). I wanted to read through this and consider the implications for LegalRuleML. So, that is my reason for not relaying this matter sooner (that and other local preoccupations). But, my (admittedly not yet well informed) intuition is that simply allowing for links to 'semantic profiles' is not sufficient; and this area is still under some development in RuleML, so far as I understand. I sense that the treatments we see in RuleML may be rather different from those we are concerned with, but this remains to understand better.

Harold recommended that we discuss this with Adrian.

Asides from my initial comments to Harold, another way to get at my concerns can be expressed as questions. Addressing these questions (with clear communications and simple examples) will not only help the TC in converging on a text, but will be useful (in the long run) for public communications. I think all these matters go to the heart of the purpose of LRML - which is to be a common, interchangeable 'standard' form to communicate legal semantic information. If LRML does not itself communicate what it is about, then that purpose is undermined.

Here are some questions, which I hope are coherent enough to be useful; no doubt there are other questions to address:
  • If we have a LRML encoding and, say, two alternative semantic/logic profiles:
    • are the rules and premises the same?
    • are the inferences the same
    • if not, what, how, and why are the differences?
  • What are the relationships or substantive differences between the semantics/logics themselves, or are they notational variants?
  • If there are differences between the semantics/logics, how are the differences going to be communicated to the users? Keep in mind that our 'intended' users are not logicians or mathematicians.
  • What are the advantages, uses, or problems with one or the other profile?
  • For a given semantic/logic, does LRML allow representation of all aspects that semantic/logic, or are there aspects that LRML does not represent, or are there aspects of LRML that do not appear in the semantic/logic?
I'll try to have a glance through the links to start to get on top of these issues.

Thanks,
Adam

-------------

Dr. Adam Zachary Wyner

Associate Professor of Law and Computer Science

Director of the Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Law

School of Law (Price 103 - Singleton) and Department of Computer Science (Computational Foundry 111 - Bay)

Swansea University

Swansea, United Kingdom

  Orcid: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2958-3428

Blog: https://azwyner.info/

Twitter: @AdamWyner

Great to hear from you and thanks so much for all your links and comments. Very helpful. I feel I've popped down the rabbit hole, and it will take some time to parse this. But, I see it is already a well-developed discussion, which is extremely useful and reassuring.

I'll try to understand this, then also relay it into the LRML TC, as there has clearly not been sufficient discussion about LRML and semantics/logic, which was punted. I think if it is not addressed appropriately, it will come back to haunt us.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Adam