legalxml-comment message

Subject: [legalxml-comment] RE: Migrating Court Filing to OASIS

Roger,
I'm responding to your note questioning the need to join the new LegalXML
OASIS member section. The answer is that LegalXML standards are far broader
than a standard to file documents in US Courts.

The CourtFiling standard can be used for counsel-to-counsel communications.
In the CourtLink eFile program there is quite a bit of service on counsel
where the document is not served in court.  This leaves an audit trail of
actual service rather than a presumption that is achieved with a
"Certificate of Service" used in US practice. This is an extra signed
declaration signed by the lawyer asserting a copy of the document was mailed
to the lawyer or party on the other side.  Is there a similar practice in
the UK?  What happens when your opposing counsel asserts he did not receive
a copy?

I elected to join LegalXML OASIS for reasons far beyond CourtFiling. The
standards for contracts, signatures, legal citations and the like are
important on a global basis. Being on OASIS has also opened my eyes to the
breadth of the work on OASIS.

It would also be a shame to lose your droll wit from the list:-)!

Very best,

Jim Keane

James I. Keane
JKeane.Pro