legalxml-courtfiling-policy message

Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] RE: [legalxml-courtfiling-policy] Sdurham -RE: Final Call - Cour t Filing Policy Requirements

thank you dl

-----Original Message-----
From: Dallas Powell [mailto:dpowell@tybera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 4:56 PM
To: Lewis, Diane; 'John Messing'; Tom.Clarke@courts.wa.gov;
Shane.Durham@lexisnexis.com;
/DDV=legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org/DDT=RFC-822/O=INETGW/P=GO
V+DOJ/A=TELEMAIL/C=US/;
/DDV=legalxml-courtfiling-policy@lists.oasis-open.org/DDT=RFC-822/O=INET
GW/P=GOV+DOJ/A=TELEMAIL/C=US/
Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling] RE: [legalxml-courtfiling-policy]
Sdurham - RE: Final Call - Cour t Filing Policy Requirements

We anticipate setting up a complete system for testing interoperability.  We
are in discussions with a vendor to provide licenses for the components we
need to reproduce the integration we have done between Utah's CORIS Case
Management System (need database license) and the Document Management System
( need license) that Utah utilizes to scan documents and store
electronically filed documents.

I will create a document that exposes our dates for live filings, the types
of filings, the different type of interoperability tests that we anticipate,
and how others can participate. I anticipate having this document before
Nov. 5th.  Currently writing a document on how to ease the pain for users
creating XML right now for a vendor.

It is our position that we will document and publish the details of what an
EFSP must do to communicate to the EFM that is installed.  I will also
provide why we are doing what we are doing in the "place holder" areas as
feedback for lessons learned ( that should be learning not learned).

Dallas Powell
Tybera Development Group
www.tybera.com

> DL - Do you  plan to nominate your project for "testing specification 1.1"
process... in the coming months?  dl

> Dallas - The current Utah LegalXML implementation uses the CourtFiling 1.1
DTD.

> >DL- Last night i read over the recent TC discussions... i appreciate the
> comments made by all especially since i am not familiar with the Georgia
> test implementation or the origins of the architecture that was conceived
> some time ago...  so my inquiries and
> >  comments are based on a "sky" view and the desire to move ahead on the
> 2.0 specification definitions which would include requirements coming from
> 1.1 specification test findings...
> >
> > 1. Resolution of Query/Response:
> > DL concurs with Shane and Dallas...
> > 1.1 is frozen.   any testing of the 1.1 specification sounds like it
will
> need to "extend" the specification to meet the individual court functional
> requirements as defined in national or local rules. We will learn about
> these extensions from the 1.1 sp
> > ecification test report(s).
> >
> > I spoke to Karl Best this morning about the version control aspect to
our
> discussion.  The TC  can use whatever conventions have meaning  to all TC
> members as we move forward.   the proposed 1.1.a; 1.1.b; 1.1.c; convention
> should be considered by those
> > TC members implementing the specification 1.1 in pilot or production
> development phases.  Those testing the specification have no need to track
> such amendments to the "1.1" static specification.
> >
> > 1a) Were the lessons learned from Georgia incorporated into the 1.1
> specification?
> >
> > the place holders described in TC messages must have been placed there
for
> a reason(s)?  or is the specification approved as 1.1 incomplete?? and not
> extensible by TC developers who are implementing in pilot or production
> environments?  Is it complete e
> > nough to test specification?
> >
> > DL Proposed conclusion:  move forward with testing the specification
> 1.1.... as suggested by Dallas and Shane... TC members who are
implementing
> 1.1 as developers will share their findings and identify changes /new
stuff
> to incorporate into specificatio
> > n (fill-in placeholders) as discoveries are made.
> >
> > DL Proposed Action: Nov 5 TC teleconference bring thread to closure ...
> >
> > 2. How many TC Members or non-members are currently
> developing/implementing "versions" of LegalXML specification 1.0; 1.1?
> > I was told yesterday in a meeting with Administrative Office of U.S.
Court
> [...]
> Washington, King County, is developing  system for 2003 implementation on
> 1.1 spec?  AOC has just started a vendor
> > driven development of electronic court filing system specific to the
> requirements of California state courts based on Georgia LegalXML
findings?
> > OCXI, as i understand it, is a proposed collaborative effort to develop
> middleware that would apply the existing LegalXML specification (1.1)or
> perferably version 2.0 if ready in time?
> >
> > DL Proposed conclusion: Those TC members who want to "test" the Court
> Filing specification 1.1 I would ask to identify themselves during the Nov
5
> TC teleconference. Those members who volunteer to test the specification
1.1
> will need to map out the appr
> > oach to be taken in specification testing based on TC guidance provided.
> >
> > I concur with Tom Clarke message 10/17 2:59pm group levels 1 and 2 as
> basic conformance requirement level and group conformance levels 3&4 for
> next level of conformance.  When developing test criteria suggest this
> approach.
> >
> > 3. Status Court Policy Framework:
> > explanations to my inquiries about this specification in Boston... made
me
> start thinking about this "document" as a "collaboration profile"... as
> expressed in the ebXML documentation i had recently read.
> > Given the discussion to date and my own confusion as to how best to
define
> and address the repository, "collaborative" profile or any semantic
content
> issues that may surface during test of the specifications i think we
should
> put aside this document fo
> > r now.
> >
> > DL Proposed Action: Place the Court Policy Interface/Framework document
on
> the shelf until after 1.1 specification testing is completed and TC
analysis
> of test specification findings have been completed.
> >
> > Suggest Court Policy Interface subcommittee focus immediate efforts on
> researching existing XML based standards that can be leveraged in some way
> to support existing OASIS LegalXML technical specifications Court Filing,
> Court Document, Query/Response...
> > .
> >
> > 4. DL current OASIS Legal XML activity: I am in the process looking over
> the Court Document 1.1 specification, in Boston i volunteered to support
> that subcommittee.... i am reviewing the contents of a zip file recently
> provided... with an eye to version
> >  2.0.
> >
> > DL travels to CALIF.. to attend first face to face OASIS LegalXML IJ TC
> next week.  hope to see some of you there... otherwise will hear your
voices
> during the teleconference scheduled for Nov 5th... cheers diane

EFSP's
> to determine which one services a court or courts that the lawyer needs to
> access. It is true that large fi
> > rms w
> > ith mangerial or IT staff may be able to take on such a task, but in a
> state like Arizona, over 50% of the bar is sole practitioners, who will
need
> to be spoon fed and offered bargain-basement or zero pricing if electronic
> filing will ever succeed. This
> >  may require a uniform national infrastructure for electronic filing,
and
> we should be prepared for the possibility that it will happen under
federal
> aegis if we are unable to make it happen in the TC, with or without
> California.
> >
> > I agree with Tom that the TC must move forward with what we have now,
> notwithstanding any doubts and concerns for the immediate future, but I
> think we should begin thinking of a single uniform XML standard, and how
> best reach that goal.

They
> are not equivalent.  If you give a developer an API the chances are much
> greater that they can code to it because an API needs to have clearly
> defined inputs and results.  There
> > is no
> >  over inclusion in an API.  The developer needs to know exactly what he
> wants to do, what call he must make, and what the call will return.  The
CPI
> [...]
> > ws case initiation, King does not.    Some courts want to allow case
> initiation for filings that do not require fees and other courts do not
have
> that option.
> >
> >   When a filing comes in to Utah, we need to know what each document
> represents.  If the case identifies five defendants then the court wants
> see 5 summons for that case.
> >
> >   In addition, Utah is accepting, Word, WordPerfect, PDF, XML, and
> multiple types of lead documents and attachments, and King County only
> accepts PDF at present.
> >
> >   How does a court policy define what type of digital certificates
should
> be used?  Or what Certificate Authority should the user purchase his
> certificates from?  Or what type of certificate, business or individual?
> >
> >   Each EFSP MUST know in advance what EFM they can support or code will
> not exist to support it.
> >
> >   2)
> >   ----------
> >   The Court Policy Requirements document says:
> >   "Goals of Court Policy Interface
> >   ......The interoperability of and use of court filing systems will
fail
> due to the great variety, number, and divergence in rules and procedures
> among the many court jurisdictions, unless they are able to communicate
> their local policies through a sta
> > ndardized CPI. "
> >   ----------
> >
> >   Is this court policy REALLY answering the "unless" here?  What is
really
> going to cause the failure?  I propose that the failure will be caused
> because the developer has to develop code to deal with every court's
> differences.  Whether the CPI tells th
> > e developer all the differences or not, does not change the failure
point,
> and that is that the developer has to develop code for all the
differences.
> Each time a new court comes on-line, the developer has to go figure out
what
> the differences are and
> > creat
> > e a module that can deal with the differences unless they are exactly
like
> others that already exist.  The failure point is having to create code for
> all differences when all differences are not yet know to the developer.
> >
> >   A developer cannot develop code for something that is not clearly
known.

> >   When I first read the Court Policy Requirements, I thought, if I don't
> have to deal with this then it does not matter what they write.  However,
if
> I have to deal with this, then my recommendation is that it needs to be
> scaled back  or modified in its
> >  purpose.
> >
> >   I propose that the CPI should be an intersect between the filer, the
> EFSP, and the Jurisdiction.  That means, the filer can find out if the
EFSP
> he is thinking about using supports the courts that he wants to work with.
> It allows the EFSP to point to
> >  a chart that identifies what Jurisdictions he supports because the
> Jurisdictions posted what EFM they have implemented.
> >
> >   So, without trying to destroy everything, I feel that I must at least
> give an example that can function as a beginning point.
> >
> >   This suggestion mixes the Conformance testing criteria and
> Interoperability Type testing.  I know that I am introducing a new concept
> with Interoperability Type testing and how that is separate from
Conformance
> testing and I will have to give examples
> >  of this in another document.  But the basic concept is a grid table
that
> allows a jurisdiction to identify what EFM they implemented, and it allows
> the EFSP to define what EFMs they support.  The grid is as such:
> >
> >   Interoperability Levels by Jurisdiction ( I will define
interoperability
> types in another message, this one is too long already.)
> >
> >           UT / AZ / NV Interop Types
> >        King County Interop Types
> >        NJ / NY / MA interop Types
> >        DC ...
> >        ? / ? / ?
> >
> >           1
> >        2
> >        3
> >        4
> >        1
> >        2
> >        3
> >        4
> >        5
> >
> >         Conformance 1
> >
> >         Conformance 2
> >
> >         Conformance 3
> >
> >         Conformance 4
> >

> >   There are a couple of implications that this exposes.
> >
> >     1.. It says that each court that wants to initiate e-filing has a
> choice.  They can point to a previous test or they can force a new one.
( I