legalxml-courtfiling-repository message

Subject: [legalxml-courtfiling-repository] Scope of Repository

Title: Scope of Repository

Thank you, Diane, for getting this under way. I will post a number of different messages that contain different issues I'm concerned with that relate to the Repository. I'm hopeful that we can then "thread" discussion of discrete issues and tie it all together when we (I'm assuming) develop a proposal for the Technical Committee's consideration.

This regards the Scope of the Repository. I think it needs to be broader than the Court Filing Technical Committee (TC) and should be planned with all of Legal XML in mind. When I say "Legal XML," I would include the "reconciliation" groups as well, if it is the case that our specifications will be harmonized in some fundamental ways: for example, basic elements used for persons, locations, and such.

I would not propose we assert authority over such broad scope yet. I think it is something to be won from doing the task of creating and maintaining a Trusted Repository for Specifications well (and before others do). To do this, we should begin with the work products of the Court Filing TC and keep the other "Legal XML" TCs in mind as we do so. I want to plan to include their specifications in any event, since I believe the Legal XML specifications (i.e., XML as used in legal documents of all types) should be harmonized and inter-related.

As we are in the formative stages, it might be well to ask our liaisons to the Reconciliation and other groups to announce that we have a group working on this and welcome input and participation.

The question here is whether others feel differently regarding the issue of Scope.

Regards,

Roger

Roger Winters
Electronic Court Records Manager
King County Department of Judicial Administration
MS: KCC-JA-0609
516 Third Ave., E-609
Seattle, Washington 98104-2386
V: (206) 296-7838 F: (206) 296-0906