Subject: [legalxml-courtfiling] RE: Including transcripts within our charter

suggest this is a court document....... can we for the time being place it within the scope of the existing subcommittee ??

we have the court filing specifications; court document specifications;  what do you think?   Diane Lewis DOJ/EOUSA Wash.DC

-----Original Message-----
From: John M. Greacen [mailto:john@greacen.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 11:44 AM
To: Lewis, Diane; Lin, Meng-chun; Bergeron Donald L. (LNG); jik; Larry
Webster; Mary Campbell McQueen; Mohyeddin Abdulaziz; Robin Gibson; Rolly
Chambers; Terrie Bousquin; Eddie OBrien; Roger Winters; Gregory W.
Arnold; Dr. Laurence Leff; John Messing; Allen Jensen; Rory Perry;
Ron.Beach; moira.rowley; Dwight R Daniels; john; Ron Bowmaster; Karl F.
Best; Benjamin T. Wilson; Charles Gilliam; aerts; jeromeb; tbrown;
tom.clarke; bruce.gitlin; dagoodwi; roger; wjohnsto; pkasselman;
Catherine.Krause; manoj; gary.pinder; gpoindexter; dpowell; ssansom;
tjsmith; steve.spohn; steven.taylor; kthotti; swood; Mark S. Yuan;
Robert DeFilippis; John Ruegg; John McClure; Court Filing List
Subject: Including transcripts within our charter

I just got an email from Eddie O'Brien, former chair of the Transcripts
Work Group in Legal XML, asking if our TC would be willing to absorb the
transcripts work.  There has been a TC discussion list for 90 days, the
group has a charter, and it has a draft DTD.  It does not have anyone
willing to serve as chair of the TC.

I am copying his message below in italics.  Based on the response to a
similar request from a member of another potential TC, I do not believe
that OASIS will extend the time for the discussion list (Eddie's third
option).

Are we willing to take this on?  Our plate is already full.  However XML
transcripts are an obviously good thing, and closely related to our
task, since they are official court records.  Is there anyone in our
group, not already committed to a major task, willing to provide
leadership to a subcommittee on transcripts?

The TC discussion list will close after Friday.  So we need to respond
immediately.  Please respond by the close of business on Thursday.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

In line with the approach set out by OASIS I understand that the
timeframe for establishing the Transcripts TC is approaching.

Background: The Charter for the group is in place and there is already a

draft transcript standard.

I have polled the community who are subscribed to the Transcript
discussion list and have had some significant positive feedback on
establishing a forum for the creation of a transcript standard.

I have also approached two of the National governing bodies for
transcript production - National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) and
also the National Verbatim Reporters Association (NVRA) - for their
support. The holiday season has certainly had an effect on their ability

to respond.

However, no prospective TC leader has come forward and, as stated
previously, I'm unable to commit the considerable amount of time to
continue this effort alone although I'm prepared to contribute to any
standard.

Assessment: I'm convinced, and it appears that many others also agree,
that a transcript standard is appropriate to the needs of the legal
community.

Option 1: There has been some discussion that Court Transcripts could be

part of the Court eFiling TC. This makes some sense and may be a better
place for this work to take place although John Greacen would need to
poll his community to approve this. Therefore, I suggest that John's
group be polled to see if this is a suitable forum to progress
transcripts.

Option 2: We suspend this effort until a later date.

Option 3: Oasis leave the Discussion List open for an extended period to

allow the community to decide whether it wants to establish a
Transcripts TC.

Greacen Associates, LLC.
18 Fairly Road
Santa Fe, NM  87507