Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling] Re: [courtfiling-process] Security of court orders

It is my opinion that there is no such thing as a perfect solution for
security that this TC can adopt based on technology only. But just as is the
case of messaging protocols such as HTTPS, ebXML, SOAP, there must exist
options for each court to determine what security model will work best for
them.  These options will be affected by the laws that each state has
implemented regarding digital signatures, imaged signatures, implied
signatures, ucc signatures, and how each state's laws are affected by the
Federal E-Sign law, and how each state's laws are affected by the Uniform
Electronic Transaction Act 'UETA'.  The following link will guide the reader
through various pages of data relating to different laws various states and
some countries have implemented.
http://www.pki-page.org .  From this link you can also find the link to the
ABA description of digital signatures.
http://www.abanet.org/scitech/ec/isc/dsg-tutorial.html

Note on UETA:
------------------
UETA is important because it
- establishes the legal equivalent of electronic records and signatures,
eliminating the requirement to print and store hard copies and reducing
storage costs
- requires the retention of the electronic original in a manner that allows
for later use and retrieval, which means migration issues must be addressed
- establishes minimum standards for when information is considered legally
sent or received in electronic form
-------------------
I have found this law firms links to be of value over the years in some of
these areas: http://www.bakernet.com/ecommerce/

Because of these various complexities of laws, we have pushed to make sure
that our EFSP and EFM can deal with multiple Hash functions and different
ways to take advantage of digital signatures and deal with some of these
laws.  We currently us X.509 certificates for individual signatures and
digital locks.

In the Atlanta Georgia meeting of the TC, I presented our use of the digital
lock as an extension of the LegalXML envelope and why.  We use this digital
lock in addition to individual digital signatures in the Utah
implementation.  The digital lock is a method of binding an implied
signature (whether it is an attorney submitting a filing or a judge issuing
an order), together with the documents so that the evidence of the
transaction is permanently locked creating evidence which can later be used
against disputes that may occur.  When the information about the order
migrates from the approval event to the database, the event is trapped
within the envelope and locked so that the information stored in the
database can be audited and verified later against the envelope.

The security event we are worried about here is the process of a Judge
approving a documentation containing an order that he/she is viewing.  The
real question of security then becomes how long before the approval event is
locked and what is the process of trapping that information electronically
so that proper evidence exists, cannot be tampered with, and can be stored
for an undetermined amount of time.

Again the issues are:
- what is the process of electronically trapping the event
- are their any holes in the process where someone could alter the event
before it is digitally locked
- how is the digital lock and the information stored so that it can be
verified at a later date

Regarding the security of individual signatures: Most Certificate
Authorities policies say that a private key is compromised and should be
revoked if the user allows the key to be out of their control.  This is very
difficult to achieve since most people rely on their IT staff to order,
install, and manage their keys and their computers.  There are several
points in this model where the keys are out of the control of the Judge
because if it is installed in their browser any IT staff with the right
authority can get to the key especially if they helped the Judge order the
key.  At this point it is nothing more than a username and password.

Regarding the Digital Lock:  We have implemented a digital lock that binds
the user ID, IP address, the time the submission was created, and all
documents embedded into the envelope together with a digital signature of
the EFPS server that created the envelope.  The weakness here is that
someone can break-in with some else's user name and password and create
something for submission.  This weakness is inherent to any system that uses
a UserName and Password even digital signatures in many cases.

Regarding the DSS:  It seems to me that the same weakness occurs here as any
system that requires a UserName and Password to log-in, upload a document to
have a signature applied to it, and then send it to the courts.

It is my impression that the digital lock is less expensive and easier to
manage than the DSS concept.

The value of an individual digital signature, digital lock, or a DSS is that
evidence is created which electronically binds data together, hopefully into
a single entity for electronic storage, and is stored intentionally as long
term evidence.

The only way to improve the security model even with these digital
signature/locking concepts, is by the author of the event to review the data
after the digital signature or digital lock is applied and the database is
uploaded.  Even this process has some weaknesses, but we have significantly
increased the level of security and it is far greater than a paper system.

When we create a digitally signed receipt from the courts for a submission
that goes back to the attorney or judge,  we either include the original
data that was submitted or we include the digital digest (hash) of the data.
It provides the originator to audit the information for validity.

I hope this helps.

Dallas