Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] "Must vote" for TC voting members

Jim, and others,

Let me chime in to answer the question you posed for John. Several of us were at the face-to-face meetings in Las Vegas where these committees were discussed and defined.

The "Requirements" committee is doing, essentially, what you described. At face-to-face meetings in Seattle and Las Vegas, their work was the main topic for exposition and discussion. That work was also discussed during intervening telephone conference calls. The technical committee, during this time, was asked to proceed in more strict conformance with OASIS procedures and rules, and that's why the charter is now before us - to bring the "Requirements" work in line.

The "Blue Drafting" committee was defined to work with the products of the requirements group, the discussions from the face-to-face and telephone meetings of the technical committee, and the discussions that will take place on the "Blue Drafting" committee's own e-mail group (to be formed once chartered), and begin (with our hired consultant) to produce (draft) the "Blue" specification. Additional face-to-face meetings were scheduled for February (Salt Lake City) and June (Santa Fe), in addition to the meetings planned for April in conjunction with the OASIS Symposium in New Orleans. All this reflects a determination to have intensified work focused on actually developing "Blue."

I believe the disconnect you seemed to note from reading the charters and such reflects how such documents don't quite reflect the way people actually work. We're not all going to forget what we said and did when talking "Requirements" when we convene within the e-mail group for "Blue Drafting" and so forth. Note that any and all of us can sign on for these committees, as well as for the Technical Committee itself. Ultimately, the Technical Committee is the parent committee and will be responsible for decisions and work products.

Perhaps John or others have additional points that might clarify the situation. I know we all meant to move forward, not to create barriers to progress.

Regards,

Roger

Roger Winters

Programs and Projects Manager