Subject: W3C Binary XOP and MTOM now final recommendations

FYI, the W3C has adopted the Binary XML Optimized Packaging (XOP) and SOAP Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism (MTOM) as Final Recommendations (the highest level of W3C standardization.) Recall this is the next-generation attachment specification that is supported by Microsoft, IBM, and BEA. It is likely to be the basis for the next go-around of WS-I standards.

The Blue requirements subcommittee has recommended that these standards be considered (long term) as the basis for handling attachments under the Web Services Messaging Profile. (Short-term, we have recommended WS-I Basic Profile 1.1 and Attachments Profile 1.0, since those are what's been adopted by WS-I and are what's supported best by tools.)

http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-xop10-20050125/
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-soap12-mtom-20050125/

Thanks.
--Scott