Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Groups - Component Issue resolution conference call added

Scott,

Unfortunately, "Filing Assembler" and "Filing Reviewer" sound an awful like the persons (lawyers or legal assistants and clerks) performing these functions.

  jim

From: Scott Came [mailto:scott@justiceintegration.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 2:52 PM
To: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

James, I think we might be close, but again we're getting tripped up by terminology...

If I understand your comments below, you are essentially allowing for:

1. A "filing client" that allows filers to assemble filings
2. A "filing server" or "filing system" that receives filings at the court and allows clerks to review them
3. A case management system at the court that needs to receive some of the data about filings (I would add that typically you'll need document management and other system interfaces here too, but at the September F2F we decided to put this all behind one single interface and let the implementer figure out how to do it)

You call these "entities," in the intial use cases we called them components...it doesn't matter terribly much what we call them. We should pick a term and move on.

The important thing is, these are independent implementations of three separate interfaces. (This isn't an "imagined" scenario...it is in fact the primary scenario we've been envisioning on the TC...TC, correct me if I'm wrong.) I agree 100% with your comment that describing the interfaces to these three components/entities (in an unamiguous, implementable way) is what Blue should do.

This is not to say there aren't customers out there who would prefer to purchase all three "entities" from the same vendor, and have it all hard-wired together. We're just not assuming that to be the desire in all cases.

Note that there need to be interfaces (APIs) to all three "entities", not just #2. As we've seen, there is asynchronous communication going both ways into and out of #2. So "entities" #1 and #3 both need to have APIs defined.

The idea behind the current terminology is this... A component is something that I build or buy that implements a part of the Blue specification. An interface is that "part"...it's the standardized set of functions that a component must provide to be conformant with the specification. We needed a generic term for things that implement an interface...component seemed to fit. If there's a better term, we should switch (though I'm not wild about "entity".)

Now, in terms of naming the "entities"... I sensed a consensus at the December meeting that the TC was pleased to discard the old term Electronic Filing Manager (EFM), because it's not descriptive of that "entity's" function. It doesn't really "manage" anything. It receives filings and presents them to clerks for review. So we changed the name to "Filing Review Component." In my view, "Filing System" is even more generic and undescriptive than EFM. I guess we could live with "Filing Client", although again that is pretty undescriptive...the idea is that it's the "entity" where filers assemble filings. So Filing Assembly Component sounds pretty good. One further caution: "Client" and "Server", at least to techies, imply a particular architecture that I don't believe we want to suggest.

(TC: if I'm wrong about the consensus I sensed in Las Vegas, please let me know.)

What about: Filing Assembler, Filing Reviewer, and Court Record Adapter? That way we get "Component" out of the name, and we can all conceptualize these terms in whatever way suits us: components, entities, thingeys, whatever.

Thanks.
--Scott

Scott Came
President and Principal Consultant